Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: red light camera incident advice..
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
benuk
I pass a busy junction with a red light camera monitoring the lights on my way home from work every day, I am always very aware of it and careful. I would like advice about an incident that happened yesterday..

As the junction was not clear (very busy.. although there is no yellow box) I waited behind the white line, as I did not want to get stuck in the middle as often happens to other drivers. As the junction started to clear, the light was still green so I started to move off, however a split second later it turned amber.. as I had no hope of fully passing the line before red due to the fact that I had just started to move off I stopped, and was stationary as the light turned red. My bonnet was over the white line, and judging by the car beside me my front wheels would have been on the camera sensors around the while line. (I can see the sensors cut into the road.. just before and just after the white line.. 30cm or so)

Is this an offence? and would this trigger the camera? (considering that the bonnet was beyond the white line and front wheels on the white line (and probally a sensor), however I was stationary in this position BEFORE the light turned to red and stayed there until the next green). i.e. if the wheels are on the sensor before and after the light turns red and dont move will this trigger?

If anyone thinks that this IS an offence, what should one do in the same situation if it were to happen again. From what I can see you have 4 options :-

A) Move into the junction when the light is green even if its not clear in stationary heavy traffic (no yellow box), risking getting trapped mid junction when the lights are red blocking cossing traffic.. I must add that if everyone did this at rush hour then the traffic crossing would never be able to move.
B) Wait at the green light until the junction is clear, and continue waiting incase the lights change, as if you start to move if the lights go amber.. red you will not clear the line before the red as your speed is slow as you have just moved off!!?
C) Wait at the green light until the junction is clear, when its clear and the green light is showing move off.. continue moving even if the lights turn to amber despite the fact that you have enough time to stop (even if its slightly over the line) and will not fully clear the line before a red light becomes active.
D) Wait at the green light until the junction is clear, when its clear and the green light is showing move off.. however if the lights change a split second after you start to move stop, even though your bonnet if over the white line and wheels on the white line

I choose option D, as in my opinion A would mean getting trapped (in very heavy traffic), B is just plain stupid and C (in my opinion) IS running a red.

advice? sorry for the veeeerrryy long post! thanks in advance.. happy.gif
andy_foster
It is an offence if (and only if) any part of your vehicle passes the line while the light is red. If you are stopped, straddling the line when the lights turn red, and do not move until the lights turn green, that is not an offence.
benuk
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Wed, 4 Mar 2009 - 10:47) *
It is an offence if (and only if) any part of your vehicle passes the line while the light is red. If you are stopped, straddling the line when the lights turn red, and do not move until the lights turn green, that is not an offence.

thanks, thats good, I am so paranoid about cameras. Does this mean that the sensors only trigger when a car moves over them not just sits on it? I am interested in the technical details of how they work. Induction loops would imply movement is necessary to generate a current...
Ocelot
QUOTE (benuk @ Wed, 4 Mar 2009 - 11:06) *

Does this mean that the sensors only trigger when a car moves over them not just sits on it?

Don't know the technical details, but I was flashed once whilst stationary, having passed the red light on green, but still having been on the strips.
benuk
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Wed, 4 Mar 2009 - 12:52) *
QUOTE (benuk @ Wed, 4 Mar 2009 - 11:06) *

Does this mean that the sensors only trigger when a car moves over them not just sits on it?

Don't know the technical details, but I was flashed once whilst stationary, having passed the red light on green, but still having been on the strips.

Did you get a NIP for this? or did you just see the camera flash?
Ocelot
No, didn't get a NIP. They presumably realised that I wasn't at fault.
benuk
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Wed, 4 Mar 2009 - 13:11) *
No, didn't get a NIP. They presumably realised that I wasn't at fault.

ok cheers
Top Cat
Isn't it an endorsable offence to "stop within the limits" of a pelican/puffin crossing?

Does this only refer to stopping (pulling over) on the zig zag section only or could it also be applied to effectively stopping in the middle of the crossing as might apply here?

southpaw82
The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997.

Reg 18: The driver of a vehicle shall not cause the vehicle or any part of it to stop within the limits of a crossing unless he is prevented from proceeding by circumstances beyond his control or it is necessary for him to stop to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.