Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Route ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
bogwart
Last Tuesday I had an MOT carried out on my car in Kensington. I have a blue badge, plus congestion charging is waived. I live in one of the South London boroughs.

For the past few months I have had problems with a build-up of fluid in my lungs, and my GP prescribed a loop diuretic to help with this. The main effect is that for an hour or so after taking the tablet I have to make frequent visits to the toilet.

I thought all was OK when I set off for home, which is some 14 miles away. However by the time I reached the western end of Kensington High Street I was literally about to burst. I stopped briefly on a red route (there was surprisingly little traffic around) and went into the nearest shop to use their facilities.

On Friday I received a ticket from TfL, having been nabbed by CCTV. It is many years since I've had a PCN, and I didn't know about the usage of CCTV.

My question is very simple. I am obviously liable to pay this PCN, they have photographic and video evidence. But I did have a compelling medical need. I'm probably living in cloud cuckoo-land, but do you think there is any chance that TfL would withdraw this PCN? As I mentioned earlier, there was very little traffic at the time (16:32) due in part to the schools being on half-term break, and there was no way that I interfered in any way with the traffic flow.

I shall be most grateful for any advice anyone can give.
quickboy
QUOTE (bogwart @ Sun, 1 Mar 2009 - 15:44) *
My question is very simple. I am obviously liable to pay this PCN, they have photographic and video evidence. But I did have a compelling medical need. I'm probably living in cloud cuckoo-land, but do you think there is any chance that TfL would withdraw this PCN?

TFL CCTV will have spotted a parked car on a red route which prompted them to issue a PCN. Their automated system would not have known the exact situation. But it does not necessarily follow that you will remain liable to pay them. Perhaps a letter from your doctor explaining your medical condition and even one fom the shop owner confirming you did use the facilities may assist you.

Dont just pay up without at least challenging TFL! Others will be along soon with more advice.
southpaw82
I understand that the red route restrictions include an exemption for stopping in an emergency. A medical condition can amount to such an emergency. Whether your specific condition will amount to an emergency will be a matter of fact to be considered, first by TfL (who are unlikely to accept it) and then by the adjudicator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.