Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Failure to supply insurance details
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
eggs
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - January 2009
Date of the NIP: - 8 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 10 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - a128 ingrave road brentwood essex. north of j/w orchard avenue
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Car was lent to a friend who travels around europe working as a building contractor. Known him for 25 years as previous partner of one of my foreign cousins. He is a foreign national. He has given me an address abroad in his homeland that he stays at although he works on the roads in various countries. My usual contact with him is when he turns up at my address from time to time with presents for me and my family. I lent him the car on trust (and have done so at other times without incident) as I believe him to be very honourable. He told me he was insured to drive over here and I have no reason to doubt him as he often drives a flat back truck or a van and has shown me an insurance certificate before that covered him. Supplied police with his address but got a letter this morning stating that under S171(1) I must supply further info and a copy of his insurance details which I don't have. Threatening me with up to 8 points and a possible fine up to £2500. They say they have written to him but I am worried that given his bohemian nature neither I or the police will be able to contact him in time.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - No
Do you know who was driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the Section 172 statement naming the person you believe was driving.
    You aren't incriminating them - they'll receive a NIP to complete themselves in due course.

(You might also like to let that person know that they can expect to receive one, and give them the link to this Wizard for when it arrives!)

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:05:46 +0000
andy_foster
(1) For the purpose of determining whether a motor vehicle was or was not being driven in contravention of section 143 of this Act on any occasion when the driver was required under section 165(1) or 170 of this Act to produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act, the owner of the vehicle must give such information as he may be required, by or on behalf of a chief officer of police, to give.

It seems to me that s. 171 only applies when the driver has been required to produce a certificate of insurance
bama
Indeed. Cart before horse from the SCP (how unusual).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.