Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Failure to relicense vehicle :(
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
duffy
Hey guys, hope you all are OK smile.gif

Well, Yesturday i have just received a Failure to relicense letter, which i am totally perplexed about.

It is my first car, ive had my licence for about 1 year now, i knew that when my tax ran out i wouldnt be using my car until i could financially surpport my car, as i am a young lad (20) and dont have much money, which is the reason for my car to be sat on private land at this time in moment. (i dont even the £40 penalty requested regrettably ) "being a full time student with no job as i need 100% commitment for my studies"

(£40 by 17/03/09 or £80 by 14/04/09)

Ok, where to begin,
The date on my letter says 01/12/08 so this is when the tax ran out on my little red corsa, But unquestionably i had declared my car SORN in (mid) november using 1st class, which is the ENTIRE reason why i am so confused at this matter.

So if i have already declared my car sorn why am i gettin these letters? , could I have made a mistake on the form? or not fill out a seperate form that is required, did the post man loose it?, or DVLA...... i have no idea. i think the form was a V890 Statutory off road notification (SORN)

I now regret not sending the form recorded delivery "but why should spend more than i have too?

Can anybody help me on my situation, or is it game over and dip into my Over Draft??

thanks for reading and all your replies smile.gif
bama
DVLA have it nicely wrapped in that they say that you have 4 weeks to check with them that the SORN has been processed. So if your SORN is 'lost' they can hand out penalties. Nice racket for them eh ?

I found this about a SORN win for a motorist but it will need the comments of an eagle
http://swarb.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11810
Glacier2
That was right. The only time limit is to submit SORN within 1 month of the tax expiry.

The DVLA want everything their way. Good that that guy for taking their game to court and winning.
bluegolfboy
One for the future... DO IT ONLINE and print out a copy...

By doing it online you are basically doing the 'data processor' at the DVLA's job which does technically save them money BUT it means that you should have definite proof that you HAVE done it...

Sadly the government and ALL agencies that carry out work for them are extremely incompetent and the normal everyday Joe Public suffers...

Challenging the fine would be difficult as the onus is entirely on you to prove that you sent the form away and without proof of postage it could be difficult. sad.gif
duffy
can anybody direct me to what type of letter I should send them? as this will be the first time for me dealing with DVLA. It is just to get a general idea on what to include ect..

& do you guys think i should put up a fight or just pay up?
thanks
AFCNEAL
I SORN my bike every winter - always receive a confirmation letter, even when SORNed on-line. If you have the letter or a screen dump of your entry, tell 'em to shove their fine..........
Catweazle
I just started a new thread with a virtually identical story. What address did you post your SORN to?
Does anybody have a tax renewal / SORN form they could check for the 28 day clause - because I certainly never noticed it.
Fredd
GIYF: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v890.pdf
Catweazle
Cheers, Fredd
With all the info relating to penalties for false declaration and failing to SORN, it's a shame there's no mention of a penalty for failing to contact the Customer Enquiries Group if you don't get an acknowledgement letter.
Unfortunately though - it was a V11 I sent them and I don't know whether the wording's the same. Gonna have to root around to see if I have an old one somewhere.

BTW - the form says:
If the acknowledgement letter is not received after 4 weeks you must contact ...

Now maybe it's the computer programmer in me but that means that if you get the letter WITHIN 4 weeks you have to contact them. Surely what they ought to say is "If after 4 weeks you have still not received..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.