Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why can't I do a Drivers awarness course.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bugs
Greeting all. I can't find a topic that will give me this information so I hope I'm not wasting anyones time.

I was coming off the A20 and past the Flamingo market bit.
I saw a camera van....which is a cheek considering they was parked on double red lines... and yes I was caught on camera.
I'm not disbuting my speed altho the ticket said I was doing 53mph in a 40mph.
I've no speeding or any endorsments on my licence.. but I thought drivers where given an option on either taking the penalty points and fine...or taking a Drivers Awarness course which hasn't been offered to me.
Can I request for a Drivers awarness course?

Thanks.
glasgow_bhoy
You will only be offered a speed awareness course if you are only marginaly over the speed limit, and usually only in a 30mph limit

Also, many areas do not offer them, and in the areas that do, they are over-subscribed and so not everybody can do them
Tancred
As far as I'm aware these courses are usually only offered for people speeding in a 30 although even then they're not guaranteed as it depends on course availbility in the area and the number of free slots they have.
James-76
The speed awareness courses are more like a lottery im afraid. Just cross your fingers and hope they pick you. It seems some get offered them for going faster than others who dont get offered huh.gif I have also noticed some offered them outsidde of 30 zones so i guess if a course is not full they give u the opportunity so they make the most amount of cash they can. I think there should be a law that gives you at least 1 chance to take a course whatever the limit as long as you were not going over say 20% more than the speed limit.
nemo
QUOTE (bugs @ Sun, 8 Feb 2009 - 13:32) *
Can I request for a Drivers awarness course?

There is nothing stopping you from requesting a course in lieu of points, but the national guidelines provide that courses should not be offered to a driver when the alleged speed is more than 10% plus 6mph in excess of the posted limit.
bugs
Thanks for the info.
I've received a letter today CONDITIONAL OFFER OF FIXED PENALTY.
Am I too late to send a letter asking to be offered or requesting a drivers awarness course.

Thanks
Bugs
nemo
QUOTE (bugs @ Mon, 9 Feb 2009 - 13:56) *
I've received a letter today CONDITIONAL OFFER OF FIXED PENALTY.
Am I too late to send a letter asking to be offered or requesting a drivers awarness course.

No, but don't be too hopeful of a positive response.

And be mindful of the fact that the Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty expires 28 from its date of issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.