Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] Company Car caught, not sure who the driver was.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
taffy78
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - November 2008
Date of the NIP: - 28 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 29 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A465 RHEOLAU NEATH
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - Its a company car. A letter was sent to the lease company, forwarded on to my company and then (following my company filling in my details as the registered driver) sent to me.

How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - My wife and I drive on this road everyday. We take turns in driving but with no particular system. Its kind of whoever get to the car first! I did not see any camera, vans or police on the road. There are no fixed cameras on that road.
On receipt of the NIP, I worte a letter explaining the above, they sent 2 photographs of the back of the car, neither shows who was driving. I sent a letter back to the Police and explained that i could not decipher who the driver was and they have today sent me a letter telling me i have 7 days
to say who the driver was or the papers will be submitted to the CPS.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Unsure
Do you know who was driving? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:47:31 +0000

I am concerned that the police may decide to go back to the company i work for and follow that course of action. Given this and the above i have 7 days to either say I or my wife was the driver or I am assuming go to court.

What would you do?
Northern
I am concerned that the police may decide to go back to the company i work for and follow that course of action

Your company have completed their nip, naming you! They have done what they are required to do, so no reason for the scammers to go back!

You are know responsible to tel them who was driving, If you can't remember, It will most likley be passed on to the cps and you will have to go to court, to prove why you can't remember.

As the wizerd says, you must show reasonable dilligance.

Is their anyone else whe may have seen you driving that day, are there any security cameras where you work that may have filmed you driving/parking up. The more things you can check to try and prove you case, the more credible you will be in court.

You could always fess up to being the driver, and take the points, but then you wouldn't actually be telling the truth!
taffy78
That is exactly the morale dilemma i am facing. I don't particularly want to go to court as i will more than likely be a nervous wreck and end up making a complete hash of it all! As i am home base in the job i do there is no one to prove my story one way or another. Taking the fine and points is an option i am willing to consider, however, i do feel i need to totally understand the full possibilities before i do this. Unfortunalty i now only have 5 days to decide and get the letter back!

i suppose it comes to the following: 1. How much would a solicitor cost and what would he / she deem my chance of getting off with it. 2. Take the points and the fine and be done with it all. Event though i could be adding points to my clean license for no reason.
Northern
Wile you wait for some more answers from others on this site, I suggest the link belowe!
You can put your dilemer to them, for free, and receive an answer within 24 hours.
They will also offer to plead your case if at goes to court, for a fixed fee.
I have used them on a couple of accasions, and they have been very helpfull.

http://www.roadsidelawyer.co.uk
It's free so what have you got to lose.

Have you tried checking phone records or bank statements for that day?
Even if this doesn't help you id the driver, the fact that you checked these records, adds to your credibility!
taffy78
Hi Northern i have emailed them. Thanks for the link. I have bank records and phone records, however, none of them really prove anything as i made no calls at the time but i did purchase a CD.
Pete D
The scamera unit of course have a full video and you could make an appointment and go and view it. There will be closer shots that may assist you to identify the driver. Pete D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.