Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP Newbie
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Commando
Hi All...

I have just received a NIP for Speeding. EXCEED SPEED LIMIT 30mph (Manned Camera)

It states I was riding my Suzuki GSXR1000 along a road near my house at 39mph, the limit is 30mph.

This happened 7 days ago, and I do recall seeing the camera van parked on the opposite side of the road facing in the direction of the oncoming traffic. In fact, having slowed myself I actually waved at a biker coming in the other direction to warn him about it.

Can a manned camera (I imagine it was a fixed device in the back of the van) accurately record the speed of a bike, It's been suggested to me that the camera could 'Bounce' off my body/helmet etc and record that and not the bike ?

Also can it record from the opposite side of the road (It can obviously read number plates)

Thanx in advance.
jobo
just run through it again

did it get you from the back after you had slowed down and passed it

or from the front before passing
slowerdriver
Please CLICK HERE and FILL THIS IN. It is the fastest way you will get help, and will assist you in not leaking too much info.
Commando
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - January 2009
Date of the NIP: - 5 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 7 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A3015 Topsham Road Exeter Devon
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 6
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was riding my Suzuki GSXR1000 along a road near my house the limit is 30mph.

This was 7 days ago, and I do recall seeing the camera van parked on the opposite side of the road facing in the direction of the oncoming traffic. In fact, having slowed myself I actually waved at a biker coming in the other direction to warn him about it.

Can a manned camera (I imagine it was a fixed device in the back of the van) accurately record the speed of a bike, It's been suggested to me that the camera could 'Bounce' off my body/helmet etc and record that and not the bike ?

Also can it record from the opposite side of the road (It can obviously read number plates)

It must have been from the back window as it read my number plate.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:24:53 +0000

QUOTE (jobo @ Sat, 31 Jan 2009 - 13:57) *
did it get you from the back after you had slowed down and passed it

or from the front before passing

I guess it must have been from the back to read my bike number plate
jobo
there are two ways of getting bikes

one from the rear getting pic of number plate

two- from the front and then get the reg number as it goes past

bikes are hard to hit, ironically the faster your going the harder they are to hit/ catch the reg number

best thing to do i to write and ask for a pici to help id the rider, not proof or evidence, take of all id date time etc and post on here to see if its a good ping

Commando
Got this back today... Ironically, the guy on the bike heading towards the Scamera, is the guy I had warned about it being there... rolleyes.gif
Funny too, that my brake light is on, as are the cars approaching the junction.
Is that me banged to rights, or do I have options... ?

The Rookie
It appears that having passed the van you sped up to over the limit, all above board I'm afraid.

Brake or rear lights, your lights are on in both shots, can't believe you were braking for 9 seconds, you'd have stopped!

Doesn't matter whether they record the speed of teh bike, or the helpmet or you, you'r all going the same speed! Bear in mind that at that 200m the beam is 60cm across.

Simon
Commando
Ok... Cheers for the advice.

Guess it's time to dig deep... and slow down.... rolleyes.gif
Hotel Oscar 87
You might want to obscure the reg plate in the second photo.
The Rookie
Agreed, unless he's mindful to just accept whatever is offered, in which case its not really an issue.

Simon
Commando
Edited out... but as Simon suggested... I'm just gonna pay up, get the points... and slow down... rolleyes.gif
jobo
QUOTE (Commando @ Thu, 12 Feb 2009 - 15:16) *
Edited out... but as Simon suggested... I'm just gonna pay up, get the points... and slow down... rolleyes.gif

at least when you know it there rolleyes.gif
Commando
Well, I admitted that I was the rider and accepted my fate...

Today I was surprised to receive an offer of a 'Speed awareness course' for £75.

I was led to believe (not on here) that you only got one of those for no more than 4mph over the limit.

Oh well, happy with that... It's local to me and more importantly... No more points... tongue.gif
andy_foster
QUOTE (Commando @ Thu, 19 Feb 2009 - 18:14) *
Today I was surprised to receive an offer of a 'Speed awareness course' for £75.

Result!

I was led to believe (not on here) that you only got one of those for no more than 4mph over the limit.

Some time ago, they were only offered for 35-36 in a 30 limit, or 10%+2-3 over the limit if offered in other limits.

The current guidelines are that courses should not be offered above 10% +6 over the limit - so for a 30 limit, the highest would be 39, but not all forces offer courses, and not all those that do offer them up to that speed.
The Rookie
Result indeed, keeping your licence cleane (er) for £15 and a day off work has to be the better way forward!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.