Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change of address on driving licence
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Lepista
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but you're all knowledgable folks.

I have an old style (paper) driving licence, and have recently moved address.

Do I have to upgrade my driving licence to the new style (photo) licence, or can I just keep my old one and amend the address manually? Presumeably I then just inform DVLA of my change of address?
Pete D
New licence required along with the V5 Registration document. Pete D
Lepista
QUOTE (Pete D @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 11:33) *
New licence required along with the V5 Registration document. Pete D

That can't be true - for a start, why would they need to have the V5 - I might not even have a car at the moment.

I don't want to give up my paper licence, it doesn't expire, I don't have to pay to get it renewed after 10 years.
Hotel Oscar 87
If you intend to comply with the law and notify DVLA of your change of address then you have no choice but to surrender your paper licence and submit to the photocard and its renewal con (it was never mentioned on their introduction). As this is a change of address issue it will cost you zilch - not that that makes up for having to fork out in the future for the renewals.
Lepista
QUOTE (Hotel Oscar 87 @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 11:58) *
If you intend to comply with the law and notify DVLA of your change of address then you have no choice but to surrender your paper licence and submit to the photocard and its renewal con (it was never mentioned on their introduction). As this is a change of address issue it will cost you zilch - not that that makes up for having to fork out in the future for the renewals.

Many thanks, that's what I thought, just not what I was hoping.

I don't suppose anyone here has the actual bit of law that says about surendering your licence for change of address?
nemo
QUOTE (Lepista @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 12:13) *
I don't suppose anyone here has the actual bit of law that says about surendering your licence for change of address?

RTA 1988, s.99 (4).
Lepista
QUOTE (nemo @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 12:30) *
QUOTE (Lepista @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 12:13) *

RTA 1988, s.99 (4).

OK, so I have to send it back to them.

There isn't any mention there about the new licences though - or having to send in a photo to get a new one back.

I wonder what they would do - amend the old one and send it back...?
nemo
QUOTE (Lepista @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 14:37) *
There isn't any mention there about the new licences though - or having to send in a photo to get a new one back.

GIYF - DVLA

glasgow_bhoy
If your worried about the renewal cost then my instructor taught me a way round it- a change of picture is free!!! and it is essentially a new liscence. So you just change your picture after 9/9n a half years and it costs you nothing!
snowy1998
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Fri, 30 Jan 2009 - 16:20) *
If your worried about the renewal cost then my instructor taught me a way round it- a change of picture is free!!! and it is essentially a new liscence. So you just change your picture after 9/9n a half years and it costs you nothing!

Just checked the DVLA site and it says:

Renewing your photo
With a renewal application

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you a renewal application pack two months before your photo is due to expire. You’ll need to:

complete the enclosed form

include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month (you don’t need the back of the photo signed)

return both parts of your driving licence (photocard and counterpart document)

enclose a cheque or postal order for £17.50 (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)

Doesn't seem free, unless you're ill or a pensioner?
jobo
i believe it free if you request a change of picture before it expires, about a week before should do it, then you get another 10 years wink.gif
jaykay

Well, I wouldn't send a paper licence back to DVLA. Much better to 'lose' it and apply for a duplicate.
nemo
QUOTE (jobo @ Mon, 2 Feb 2009 - 02:21) *
i believe it free if you request a change of picture before it expires, about a week before should do it, then you get another 10 years wink.gif

It was my understanding that a photo change (irrespective of when it was carried out), unless you are a short term licence holder, would incur a fee of £17.50.

QUOTE (jaykay @ Mon, 2 Feb 2009 - 05:01) *
Well, I wouldn't send a paper licence back to DVLA. Much better to 'lose' it and apply for a duplicate.

A change of name or address on a driver's licence is undertaken free of charge - whereas replacing a lost or stolen licence costs £17.50.

clean for20years
I have just had to do this and you send an aplication with your photo and they will replace it free as it is a change of address

you cannot get a paper licence now so before long the government will have the id cards they want all they have to do then is force us to carry them !
glasgow_bhoy
Well how bout just before the 10 years are up then change your address (to a mates or something) and then you get another 10 years. Then after a few weeks change back..
Pete D
And remember to change the V5 document address with DVLA. Pete D
Chas820
PLEASE photocopy your licence before sending it,If they lose it YOU have to prove you had one
localdriver
If you have a current passport you can change your driving licence address on line, (they get your photo from the passport agency) they send your new licence so you can check it before returning your old one.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motor...pplyD/DG_066944
Dave Keene
QUOTE (jobo @ Mon, 2 Feb 2009 - 02:21) *

No - that loophole was closed in May 2008.

Any transaction you try where the photo is out of date will be rejected and your licence retained. A new licence will not be issued until a valid photograph is supplied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.