Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 43 in a 40 I think ? new driver
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
2468jordann
First post so please be nice... my daughter got caught with a laser gun at the weekend. She was driving in a 40 - leading into a 30 - got pulled over at the side of the road ( with her dad in the car she was dropping him off ) and given a yellow fixed penalty notice.

She's only 17 and passed her test October last year - so she was a bit scared of the policeman and didn't really listen\understand what he was saying ( he made her dad wait outside the car while he was talking to her )- she did understand however the ' you now have 3 points left to last you nearly 2 years so good luck with that' part dry.gif

So she has this yellow ticket that says the offence code is LS30 ( I know ) excess speed and then 43 @ or possibly a zero 143.7.

So the question is was she doing 43 in the 40 zone or the 30 ? I've rung Thames Valley and they are super helpful - pull all the details up then can't tell you what the speed limit was = then put you through to an extension that is never answered... Rang Uxbridge too as it's close ( although a different police force ) and they reckon it's a 40 limit.

Obviously regardless of this she was apparently over the speed limit but it seems a harsh call ? My question is do any of you guys know from the above what part of the road he got her on 30 or 40 mph ?
Also does anyone know of the criteria for the speed awareness courses offered by Thames Valley Police ?

Sorry for the waffling people

Thanks biggrin.gif

Hotel Oscar 87
Without details of the location she was stopped at I'd be guessing (as would others) at the limit but my instinct suggests that she was caught in the 30mph limit. In light of the fact that she was issued with a fixed penalty notice at the roadside means that she is not now eligible for a speed awareness course.

Did she surrender her driving licence at the time? If not, she may have forgotten that she will need to surrender it within 7 days or the FPN will effectively lapse and the next she will hear is the flop of a summons on the doormat! The details of how to do this should be on the FPN.
2468jordann
Yes she was told to produce her licence ( she only had pink part on her at the time ) at a local police station within 7 days - runs out on Friday. Looked like there was only one policeman there at the time ( hidden in a layby behind trees etc way back from the road ). If it was the 30 zone will she get 3 points or 6 - as she's a new driver she will get banned if she get's the 6...

She is going to do it tomorrow at Gerrards Cross as it's near her school ( and open! ) - does she surrender it to them or not please - I'm not dim just never had to do this before. And then after she does or doesn't do that do we then wait for stuff in the post from them ?

Thanks
Hotel Oscar 87
Having been issued with a fixed penalty notice at the roadside in order to comply she must surrender her licence (photocard and counterpart) within 7 days (if not done at the time). The fixed penalty carries an automatic fine of £60 and 3 points (as the officer alluded to at the time). She should make sure that the receipt section of the ticket she has is endorsed by the station she surrenders her licence at to prove that she has actually surrendered her licence. All of this is written on the ticket if she has any doubts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.