Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Defect Rectification Notice.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
debdeb
hi, dont know if this is the correct board to post on but here goes anyway. i was stopped in my car last night and issued with a vdrn, for having a defective break light. i was made to leave my vehicle at the spot it was stopped and told to walk home, i was told i had to arrange to have my car re- mot'd ( even though it was only moted 5 weeks ago) then i waas to produce the valid mot ticket at the local police station where the vdrv would be removed.

my question is , why must i do all this for a job that will take me less than 10 mins to do my self as its is only a broken bulb, i have already been back this morning and replaced the bulb and the car is working fine now. is it the law that i must re mot or can i just go along and to the police station with the receipt for the bulb to show that this has been done, it has a valid mot certicficate for another 11 months why should i pay for another one.

i have been driving over 20 years and last time( about 5 years ago) i was stopped with broken light i was just told to get it fixed at the first opportunity. has the law changed ?

i hope someone can help. thanks
whitewing
Are you sure it's a new MOT they are asking for? - maybe it's changed now, but there used to be a system where you took it to a MOT centre to just check the item on the notice for a nominal fee.
markie
Who stopped you? I'm curious to see the paperwork they gave you?

Are you sure they didn't just mean you had to produce your existing MOT? (to prove you have one and haven't been driving with a faulty bulb for over the last 12 months)
scooter boy
i was issued with a vrn about 2 years ago on a van with 2 tyres that had worn on the insides i was given the option of points or to rectify the problem and re mot the van even though i had 10 months mot so i took the re mot option i was however allowed to carry on with my journey just had to produce the mot at the police station hope that helps SB
debdeb
i was stopped by police they were in an unmarked car but put their lights on as they over took me and stopped me, they told me they i had to re mot it but i have looked at the paperwork they have given me and it doesnt seem to say to have it mot'd just that it should be booked into a mot garage and checked. i am going to phone the station and verify if i have to re mot or just get it checked or if the recipt for the bulb will suffice. i will let you know what they say.
markie
Any time limit on the paperwork to have this done?

My advice is to always use a place which ONLY does MOT's for anything relating to that (no incentive to fleece people) - you local council should offer MOT's to the public if they have a vehicle/fleet maintenance depot.
jobo
Does te form say you cant drive it, if so its not a vehicle DRN at all

If it is VDRN then you can drive say and they had no right to tell you you could not so do

heres a ;ink as to what you should when served with a VDRN

http://www.lancashire.police.uk/index.php?id=5074

Landshark
The VDRS scheme is an alternative to prosecution;

You have to fix the problem that is noted on the form, take it along to an official MOT testing station they check that the defect has been rectified and stamp the form on the rear. you then have to send this to the address stated on the form to artrive WITHIN 14 days.

Some test stations charge for this some suggest a donation to charity some won't charge. Personally i think its a good thing seeing how many cars are driving around these days with bulbs out.
debdeb
well i rang my police ststion and they havent got a clue what is suppose to be done !! they said the yellow paperwork makes it clear ( i was issued with pink paperwork) , they said it should be fine to repair it and take it to the station to be checked, i told trhem it says on the notice not to drive it until its been to a mot garage and they said that shouldnt be the case with just a faulty light ( they said it wont need an mot) , then she called me back and said it would probably be better to just take it to a mot garage and have them check and then go to the station. talk about the blind leading the blind.

ive bought the car back to my house now as in my eyes it no longer has the fault and im just going to take the notice in the station tomorrow and see what they do about it then.
jobo
right youve not been given a VDRN

youve had the car blacked untill its been MOTed

they have given you the wrong form

ring up and asked to speak to a traffic Sgt, you should get some sense out of them, other wise if you dont mot it youl end up in court if its seen on the road
bluegolfboy
'Landshark' is correct.

VRDN:

Take the car and the form to an MoT station. It normally costs £5 or there abouts but the MoT guy will check the fault and stamp the slip. The slip is then handed in at the Police station (I actually believe you have SEVEN days to do so).

The other thing which could have been issued is a 'Prohibition Notice'. This means that the vehicle CANNOT be used on the road until the defect is fixed. Once the defect is fixed you need to make an appointment with the local VOSA department and take the car to them. This is the ONLY time you would legally be able to drive the vehicle. I doubt very much that this has happened, it is normally reserved for illegal window tints or construction and use violations.

I've had VDRNs and Prohibition Notices. The VDRN is normally a small slip (half and A5 in size) where as the prohibition notices are several sheets of A4.
Landshark
i would hazard a guess for a light out it would not warrant a prohibition, unless you had no lights!!!! biggrin.gif

Vehicles
Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme (VDRS) Tickets
Rating:

A VDRS ticket can be issued by a police officer for certain offences relating to the condition of a vehicle, and are issued dependent on the relevant factors of the offence, at the officer's discretion. This gives the driver the opportunity to have the fault repaired, rather than be prosecuted. To avoid the possibility of prosecution, the driver must do the following within 14 days of the ticket being issued:

• Have the vehicle repaired.
• Have the vehicle inspected at an MOT approved testing station.
• Have the VDRS ticket endorsed at the MOT test station to confirm that the fault is rectified.
• Forward the completed VDRS ticket to the Central ticket Offices within the time specified on the ticket.

*****Note you normally have to have the bit of paper back to them within the 14 days*******
bluegolfboy
14 days is new to me but it has been a few years since I've been involved in that side of crime... wink.gif

Well put together regardless and no doubt of extreme help to the OP.
Rob S
VDRS can be issued by any police officer but the PG9 prohibition notice can only be issued by a suitably trained traffic officer, and that is the one where they can empower you to leave the vehicle at the scene. That will require the vehicle to be repaired and then it has to have an MOT carried out again before a PG10 removal of prohibition will be issued.

I find it hard to believe that a prohibition was issued solely for a defective brake light.
lilymae
I was stopped at lights when a lady got out of her car a ran over to me to inform me one of my break-lights wasn't working. If she hadn't told me, how would I have known? I was most grateful and had it seen to immediately. (I always carry spare bulbs it my boot). My car too, had not long passed it's MOT. Bulbs can go anytime. I often wonder if the many humps the Councils put in the roads cause this.
Landshark
Its the cars that you see with only the high level centre brake light working and one rear light that also only has one working headlight and the driver using the one working fog light to see where there going, that really pee me off!! rolleyes.gif
jobo
QUOTE (Landshark @ Sun, 11 Jan 2009 - 17:55) *
Its the cars that you see with only the high level centre brake light working and one rear light that also only has one working headlight and the driver using the one working fog light to see where there going, that really pee me off!! rolleyes.gif

i didnt even know you lived near me rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Landshark
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Martyn_Oldman
QUOTE (lilymae @ Sun, 11 Jan 2009 - 17:48) *
I was stopped at lights when a lady got out of her car a ran over to me to inform me one of my break-lights wasn't working. If she hadn't told me, how would I have known?
I believe you should check them every time you use a vehicle, certainly at the very least once a week. Suggested way if you have no one to help you is to reverse up to a garage in the dark and use the reflection to check.

I check mine every time I get in the car, well the car checks them anyway. Normally, if it's working properly and not telling me I have a brake light out when I don't that is!

I'm personally very glad for the 'third' brake light that cars from 2000 onwards have to have as they tend to be LED so still work when both the others have gone.

bluegolfboy
One for the future.

Mentioned above by 'lilymae'...

Carrying the little 'bulb pack' for your car is ideal. Leave it in the boot with the spare wheel etc. If and when Plod stops you simply state you will rectify it immediately and produce the bulb pack. Change bulb and get on your way.

Halfords sell them:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...65538_langId_-1

Bit expensive for a cheap skate like me so ebay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUK...b&_osacat=0

Never have a VDRN again for bulbs again... wink.gif
debdeb
just thought id inform you of the outcome, i took the form and the car to the testing station, they charged a fiver but siad they hadnt seen that form beofre, there was no where to stamp it etc, anyway they stamped it on the reverse and signed it and i took it to the police ataion yesterday.

The officer didnt know what to do as she said the form i had produced usuually had a place to be stamped, she eventauly after some help from another oficer advised me that i would need to re mot , she was a bit surprised that i had been given this with afauklty brake light and advised me to go home and ring the traffic unit at the main police station near me.
this i did.

I was told it was a prohibiation order not a vdrn and that i would need a new mot. i told them i was amazed that it was issued for this but they said they could only be given by a speial trained traffic cop or something and that the fault was probably more than the lights, she did infact ask me if i had tinted windows or the like.. im a middle aged woman for gods sake not a boy racer !! The notice was only issued for the light and it says on the form the fault spotted and i quote " not working/ missing rear brake light"

i was advised i could appeal agiant the notice but it would take around 16 days to be dealt with and in this time i would not be able to drive the car !! i cant wait that long so i bit the bullet, took the car back for a re mot , which i might add it passed with flying colours !!.

total cost £30 for the re mot and 3 days without the use of my car..i am still amazed and can honestly say i now understand why the motorist is an easy target, i have lost all respect for the traffic police now .
Chas820
I would write a stinking letter to the chief constable giving all the details and asking why a re mot was required for a blown bulb.I would also suggest the officer might need extra training.Bald tyres,leaking shock absorbers fair enough but a bloody bulb. angry4.gif
Mr Rusty
I think it would also be worth emailing the motoring correspondent of e.g. the daily mail. This is just incredible! Re-MOT for a blown bulb?? No wonder the BiB have no respect!
glasgow_bhoy
Thats sheer pettyness
waste of your time and i would have thought more of the pigs

did you have a poor attitude by any chance whn he stopped you??
Glacier2
Indeed, did you fail the attitude test?
andy_foster
AIUI, the 'attitude test' is applied by 'reasonable' coppers.
The only ways to 'reason' with this sort of officer are a great deal of force applied through a blunt instrument, or an official complaint and suing the police (which will encourage them not to ignore the complaint).
spanner345
Must be an official complaint. Even as an mot tester I think this is taking the pi$$. Maybe the policeman is part owner of a garage?????

£30 is a very cheap mot, it's £28.65 for a bike, £36.55 with a sidecar
debdeb
no i wasnt in any way rude , i spoke politely as i would to anyone, and the mot round here is £30 for the test but if you happen to need a re test , you have to pay an extra £15. i am going to put a letter in to the traffic division outlining what happened, but i dont imagine it will get me anywhere. thanks everyone for your comments and advice. i am seriously thinking off getting a bike !!
Landshark
I'm taking it that it was only one bulb out, and not all of your brake lights???

If all your brake lights where not working that would have earned you a prohibition? dry.gif
Zed Victor One
QUOTE (debdeb @ Tue, 13 Jan 2009 - 17:30) *
just thought id inform you of the outcome, i took the form and the car to the testing station, they charged a fiver but siad they hadnt seen that form beofre, there was no where to stamp it etc, anyway they stamped it on the reverse and signed it and i took it to the police ataion yesterday.

The officer didnt know what to do as she said the form i had produced usuually had a place to be stamped, she eventauly after some help from another oficer advised me that i would need to re mot , she was a bit surprised that i had been given this with afauklty brake light and advised me to go home and ring the traffic unit at the main police station near me.
this i did.

I was told it was a prohibiation order not a vdrn and that i would need a new mot. i told them i was amazed that it was issued for this but they said they could only be given by a speial trained traffic cop or something and that the fault was probably more than the lights, she did infact ask me if i had tinted windows or the like.. im a middle aged woman for gods sake not a boy racer !! The notice was only issued for the light and it says on the form the fault spotted and i quote " not working/ missing rear brake light"

i was advised i could appeal agiant the notice but it would take around 16 days to be dealt with and in this time i would not be able to drive the car !! i cant wait that long so i bit the bullet, took the car back for a re mot , which i might add it passed with flying colours !!.

total cost £30 for the re mot and 3 days without the use of my car..i am still amazed and can honestly say i now understand why the motorist is an easy target, i have lost all respect for the traffic police now .

icon_redface.gif Well I can only apologise for the way you've been treated and re-enforce what yourself and Mr Rusty have said as to why it's little wonder that there is no respect for the police anymore. The last time I issued a ticket for a light out was probably when I was in my probation some 27+ years ago, now it's only a means to stop someone and if they're been drinking breathalyse them.
If the person is reasonable I don't even give a VDRN I just politely ask them to get it fixed at the earliest opportunity. Sadly such is the way the police are going the latest buzz phrase is 'productivity' and if you aren't issuing enough tickets your spoken to by your supervisor and given an action plan to ensure that your re-chipped to comply with current thinking.
'Productivity' say's it all, now were supposed to be like the assembly line of a factory not a public service and the really sad part is that those at the top who pedal this nonsense actaully believe what they're saying. icon_hang.gif
captain swoop
Quite right with the ammount of my Council tax that goes to the Police I want to see max productivity smile.gif
Zed Victor One
QUOTE (captain swoop @ Wed, 14 Jan 2009 - 19:47) *
Quite right with the ammount of my Council tax that goes to the Police I want to see max productivity smile.gif

Quantify productivity, bobbies on the streets targetting crime, anti social behaviour, drunkeness, drink driving, dangerous/careless driving or speeding tickets & prohibition notices for one brake light out?
spanner345
The VDRN system is often mis-used. Not too long ago I had a moped in with a vdrn for number plate light missing, number plate lights are not required on 50cc mopeds.

A while ago, vdrn for "noisy gearbox", not only is a noisy gearbox not a vdrn point, but it wasn't the gearbox at fault.

Just two from many

The vdrn system is voluntary as far as the mot stations go, mis use by the police and it will collapse, as mot stations will refuse to sign the tickets.

When the police do not know the relevant laws and regulations, in my view, they should refrain from issuing meaningless pieces of paper and leave it to people that do know.

It would have been interesting for the above moped owner to ignore his vdrn an let the process of justice crawl forwards to police humiliation in court, but 16 year olds, generally, don't take these sort of risks.....shame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.