Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Light
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Hey-hoo
Hi Everyone,

Congrats on an excellant site by the way!! I think i may have dropped a clanger. I didn't know about this site until yesterday.
My predicament is, i was flashed by a red light in November, i recieved the first letter off police which i ignored, then i have got my reminder but it has now gone past the date i should have applied. I am now just waiting to be summonsed. I think i can only argue that i did not recieve the two letters in court. Have i any chance?

BaggieBoy
QUOTE (Hey-hoo @ Tue, 6 Jan 2009 - 12:15) *
My predicament is, i was flashed by a red light in November, i recieved the first letter off police which i ignored, then i have got my reminder but it has now gone past the date i should have applied. I am now just waiting to be summonsed. I think i can only argue that i did not recieve the two letters in court. Have i any chance?

Yes you have a chance, a chance of being found guilty of perjury if you stand up in court and say you received nothing when in fact you did. If that is what you intend to do, then no one on this site will help you with that course of action.

If you fail to respond to the S172 request (which would have been included with the NIP and reminder), then they should not be able to prosecute you for the red light offence, as they have no evidence to who was driving. They will, most likely, prosecute you for "failing to furnish", which is a 6 point offence and a large fine. So ignoring the NIP probably means you will now get double the points, smart move (not) on your part.

If you want further assistance, you need to fully complete the NIP Wizard and post the results back to this thread (which will hopefully be moved into the correct section soon).
Hey-hoo
Guess i will just take my punishment then
BaggieBoy
Or you could fill in the NIP Wizard, in case it shows up a problem at their end.
bama
Didn't our wonderful Home Secretary avoid court on a traffic offense after the 'deadline' had passed ?

Try to follow the example of our glorious leaders perhaps ?
The Rookie
If you respond immediately they may well ignore the late responce and issue a CoFP (3pts and £60).

Simon
Filthy Monkey
If it's any help, I once sent one back naming someone else after about three months and they accepted it. Try calling them first of all to explain the situation and then send in the form.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.