Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discriminated against
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
The Red Baron
I went to watch my local team play rugby recently and found an unbadged car in the disabled parking bay and no other space. The location was a road which divides into 2 around a grass area and rejoins about 100 yards further along creating a sort of elongated roundabout.
As i contemplated my parking options, a fellow disabled driver who also goes to watch the game arrived at the same spot. seeing nowhere to park he decided to park on the opposite side of the elongated roundabout on the curve of the road just as it begins to return to one carriageway. I thus decided to park opposite him in the same position as the road separates. both locations had double yellows but i decided 'if we both get a ticket so be it.'
I left the game 5mins early due to our dismal performance and returned to my car. Upon returning i was angered to see that my vehicle had been ticketed whilst the other vehicle had not. There was also a 3rd vehicle parked in a similar position at the far end of the space which was also unticketed although i cannot say when that vehicle was parked.
If we had both been ticketed i would have said 'fair enough, you takes your chances etc' and paid immediately but in this instance i can see no reason why i would be the only vehicle ticketed. If parking where we parked is unlawful then the law should apply to all . I feel there is a measure of discrimination in effect here and wish to challenge this ticket.
I drive a Renault Avantime, there are only 400 or so in the UK. there are only 2 in the area of my town, one is blue, the other is Red, filled with disabled adaptations and driven by a man of Afro-Caribbean origin... i.e. 'me'. I have own the vehicle for 5 years and it is by no stretch of the imagination to believe it could be identified as mine and discriminated against. I wouldn't want to bring race relations into the argument but surely i can demand an explanation of the discrimination subjected in the issuing of the ticket originally.
We have not had another home rugby game since so i have been unable to obtain the registration of the other vehicle which i neglected to take at the time but he is usually at every game and as such it is obtainable. I was also with a friend, who works in the local town hall who will witness that my vehicle was the only one of 3 ticketed.
Can anyone suggest the most effective path to challenge this notice.
dave-o
There's no mileage in the "discrimination" aspect in my opinion. They want facts, not conjecture.

Start by posting a scan/photo of the ticket, we can start there.
Alexis
Whether other people received tickets or not is irrelevant I'm afraid. It's all about facts and your situation - nobody else.

You say you were parked on double yellows, but if there's some legal error in the paperwork it might make the ticket invalid anyway. Please scan it in and post an image, minus personal details.
clark_kent
Unless you tell us what the ticket was for how can anyone help? If you displayed a blue badge maybe unlike the other drivers yours was invalid for some reason.
The Red Baron
I'm trying to post an image of the ticket but am unable to do so. When i choose the add image option it asks for an http link to the image.
I've uploaded the image to a myspace page and used that as the link but am then told links not allowed.
I'm certain i'm missing the simple answer but the idiot in me wont let me discover it.
Unless this attempt below works.... i'm stumped

PNC01
dave-o
People can't view myspace pics unless they are a member.

Upload it to tinypic and put the URL (The http: bit) between image tags. It's all in the FAQ.
The Red Baron

Neil B
We need to see the rest of it.

Also, a good idea to remove your VRM from the image.

-

spanner345
And the back please
The Red Baron
There isn't anything written on the back
Glacier2
Panto mode: Oh yes there is! smile.gif
dave-o
You're going to need to tell us a bit more about where you were parked.

Single Yellows? What day/time?
Double Yellows?
Controlled Parking Zone?
The Red Baron

I parked my car in position A on double yellows and the second driver parked his at B also on double yellows. Both at 2.55pm (kick off was 3pm). As it takes me a few mins to get wheelchair etc the second driver left his vehicle before me. I returned first to find a ticket but none on the second vehicle or a 3 which was parked similar to mine at the top curve of this parted roadway. The disabled parking bay D was full including 1 unbadged vehicle. The whole street is a controlled zone with exception to blue badge holders which we both are.
I really didn't have a problem with the validity of the ticket except for the fact that i got one and he didn't.
Fredd
So if someone else had been given a ticket that would make you happy? confused2.gif

How does someone else suffering help you?
spanner345
QUOTE (Fredd @ Tue, 16 Dec 2008 - 13:06) *
So if someone else had been given a ticket that would make you happy? confused2.gif

How does someone else suffering help you?

The O.P. has probably "got away" with things in the past, where other people have been done, in the long run things even out.
dave-o
I can't see how you're going to get out of this one.

The paperwork seems OK, you were illegally parked and you got a ticket.

Best chalk this one down to experience, expect to get ticketed if parked on double yellows while you go and watch a game, and be happy for the other guy that he wasn't also caught.
clark_kent
Am I missing something...... I thought the OP had a blue badge?
glasgow_bhoy
Blue badges dont get you off parking on double yellows though wink.gif
clark_kent
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Tue, 16 Dec 2008 - 20:20) *
Blue badges dont get you off parking on double yellows though wink.gif

Since when?
Anorak
Normally a blue badge holder can park up to 3 hours on a DYL so long as there is not a no loading restriction in operation and they correctly display the badge and disc clock. I think certain areas of London deviate from this though. Scotland I believe do not place a time limit for parking on DYL.
glasgow_bhoy
Really?? I always thought that a blue badge allowed unlimited parking pretty much anywhere except on dopuble yellows as double yellows are put in place where it would be hazerdous to park.

In Glasgow it is certainly the case that they will ticket for parking on a DYL whatever the circumstances- whether it be a breakdown, disabled badge or just lazy parking. They will then tow pretty soon after.

SuperSparks
From what I can make out the Scottish rules for DYL parking are subtly different to England & Wales. In England and Wales you can definitely park on DYLs for up to 3 hours as long as there are no loading restrictions, and provided you don't cause an obstruction.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/01/18569/29551
Anorak
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Tue, 16 Dec 2008 - 23:03) *
Really?? I always thought that a blue badge allowed unlimited parking pretty much anywhere except on dopuble yellows as double yellows are put in place where it would be hazerdous to park.

In Glasgow it is certainly the case that they will ticket for parking on a DYL whatever the circumstances- whether it be a breakdown, disabled badge or just lazy parking. They will then tow pretty soon after.

Hi GB..here is a link to the BB guidance. You will need to open the PDF file 'rights and responsibilities'. If you have any BB friends make sure they read it and know their rights.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/acce...ubs/factsheets/
The Red Baron
We both have blue badges, and i don't believe there are any loading restrictions in that area (quiet residential street) but i can check.
Unfortunately, i believe my badge was still set from the last time i parked somewhere at 12.30 one day.
My badge lives in the passenger side of my windscreen and my carer sets it as she exits the car. On this occasion she wasn't with me as i met a friend for the game who just got my wheelchair out the boot and put it by my door for me to get onto.
I suppose i could offer this as a reason the clock wasn't set. I don't know if the other guy set his clock.
We've a home game on Saturday so there is a possibility i'll bump into him so i can ask him.

dave-o
There's no harm in appealing on mitigating circumstances. They have been known to take pity on people now and then.
Neil B
QUOTE (dave-o @ Wed, 17 Dec 2008 - 13:35) *
There's no harm in appealing on mitigating circumstances. They have been known to take pity on people now and then.

Indeed. That is the way to go. May I just add something.

25 posts to get to the point of a basic reason for appeal. Reason? That element you said you didn't want to bring into it Red Baron but immediately did anyway! That this may be a case of discrimination based on race. Clearly more to do with correct display of BB.

Bedford is hardly a hotbed of racism is it? Fair proportion of both black and various historic immigrant populations.

I'm proud to be associated with this forum and have never seen any element of racism displayed here (just by example) - so get in touch with the world mate and leave any race issues out of any appeal.

-

Neil B
Example of a success, announced today, where the Council was asked to exercise discretion.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...20&start=20

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.