Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Company Jeep NIP 45 in a 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
petesha
I was handed a NIP today in work for 45mph in a 30mph caught by a mobile unit. The NIP is addressed to my company which in turn leased the jeep. My company has leased approximately 60 jeeps and around 100 people are insured to drive any one of them. I am fairly confident it was me dirving on the day of the offense but not certain as two others were driving the same jeep in the same area that day. The NIP was handed to me purely because internally each of the jeeps has a designated driver for maintenance purposes. The NIP states there is video evidence.
What are my options? I have three points already and wouldn't want to risk the possibilty of getting another 6 if it goes to court.
Is it the responsibility of my company to name me as the driver to which I should respond? As stated before, I was given the NIP with no personal details on it, just my company name and site address.

Many thanks!
nemo
If the NIP / s.172 request is addressed to the Company, then it is the Company's responsibility to respond - you are under no statutory obligation to do anythng at this time.

You could hand the notice back to the Company, pointing out its obligations, or you could do nothing. Whilst the Company is likely to receive a reminder, the latter course of action might not earn you any plus points from your employer, mind.

If you do decide to hand the notice back, you could delay it until such time as the Company's response would be received by the police close to (but not later than) 28 days from when the notice was received by the Company.

As and when you receive a NIP / s.172 request in your own name, you should complete the NIP Wizard and post its output back into this thread.
petesha
OK thanks for the information.
Think I will delay handing back the form. It says on the form that it is to be returned 21 days from the date on the letter which would be 25th December ho ho ho. Anyway, I will post here as you say when I hear anything else.

Many thanks,
Gaza
QUOTE (petesha @ Mon, 8 Dec 2008 - 09:59) *
OK thanks for the information.
Think I will delay handing back the form. It says on the form that it is to be returned 21 days from the date on the letter which would be 25th December ho ho ho. Anyway, I will post here as you say when I hear anything else.

Many thanks,

The company has 28 days from the date of service i.e. the date they receive it, to return it to the scammers. As has already been said you SHOULD NOT deal with this yourself. It is your companies responsibility to return it to the scammers. You have to weigh up how much you will piss your employer off if you don't stick to the dates.
southpaw82
Unless it's Northern Ireland when (IIRC) they can impose a 21 day limit.
petesha
I am not directly employed by the company who leased the jeeps so I don't care in the slightest about pissing them off. I am also leaving the site the second week of January so I will have very limited contact with them after that point anyway. Hand it back to them 19th of December and see what happens I think.
southpaw82
Or don't hand it back at all...
petesha
hmmmmmmmmmm
It will all come back to me eventually as I am supposed to look after it and would be the main driver. If I keep it, is a reminder sent to the company? Or could this all snowball into some court appearance where i summoned and get 6 points on my licence?
southpaw82
Only the addressee of the form is required to respond to it. How could you end up in court for it?

The only risk is if your company eventually give the police the wrong address and hence you never get the form but (once you discovered the error) it provides a defence for not responding.
petesha
After all the to'ing and fro'ing it will come back to me to go and look at the video evidence to see if it was in fact me driving. So therefore my only way out is if enough time accrues is that correct? If so how long is that?!
Or is this just a waste of time really as it is just delaying the inevitable!
The Rookie
With SP on this, the form has been sent to the comppany, it tells them expressley they have to complete it, you do not have to give it back to them or help them in any way (legally) at this stage. If you have no 'ties' to the company, just file it.

Simon
southpaw82
QUOTE (petesha @ Mon, 8 Dec 2008 - 13:56) *
After all the to'ing and fro'ing it will come back to me to go and look at the video evidence to see if it was in fact me driving. So therefore my only way out is if enough time accrues is that correct? If so how long is that?!
Or is this just a waste of time really as it is just delaying the inevitable!

You only have to identify yourself as the driver (if indeed you were the driver) once you have a s. 172 form addressed to you. Once six months have passed from the speeding offence they can't prosecute you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.