Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first PCN
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
ryanred5
Hi

Me and hubby were out today and parked on one of the local council car parks. Unfortunately as we were in a rush both of us forgot to put my blue badge on the dashboard.

Of course when we came back to the car we had a PCN of £25 if paid in 14 days, other it will be £50. This is the first (and hopefully last!) ticket weve had.

Is there anything at all we can do, or this just an expensive mistake to make?

Thanks

Catherine
southpaw82
Please show us the PCN (front and back).
Neil B
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autoco...ticle&id=16

prefer tinypic please. We need to see ALL of it.

-

ryanred5
Hi

I'd rather not put it direct on here, is it possible to send it to one or both of you to look at?

I know you say to show all of it but is it okay to show the registration no?

I don't have a scanner, so will have to take a photograph of both sides.

Also would it be possible to use Photobucket as I don't have a Tinypic account.

Thanks

Catherine
cabbyman
'Wash' personal details, eg, regn no, PCN serial no, name & address, etc. then post, both sides of the PCN.

Tinypic is preferred, I believe it is easy to open an account, at no cost. 90% of council PCN's are flawed so it should be worth your effort....He says!!!
Bet you've got the only perfect PCN in the country!!

ryanred5
Hi

I've got the front and back of my PCN for you to look at, I don't have a scanner unfortunately so I've had to take photographs of the ticket, hence why its in 3 bits for front and back.

Also with me using a PDA to be on the internet I couldn't use Tinypic, so I've put them into Photobucket.

This is the front of the ticket in 3 bits.

This is the back of the ticket in 3 bits.

Hope they are okay for you to read.

I also hope you can help me.

Thanks

Catherine
Anorak
Many councils are quite lenient on disabled drivers who are able to provide a copy of their valid blue badge and will cancel on a one strike policy .i.e. don't do it again.

Just in case Tameside are not lenient it is good to cover other angles. Was the bay you parked in a designated disbaled bay or just a regular parking bay?
Mr Grumpy
I live in Tameside and i do know that in the past they have been quite lenient with Blue Badge Holders, i would try a grovelling letter to them with a photocopy of your badge, as Blue Badge Holders are exempt from car park charges in Tameside car parks it can't hurt

I wouldn't rely on signs and bays being non compliant, i look at every one i pass and haven't seen a wrong 'un yet

Much to my dismay
tongue.gif
ryanred5
Hi

Thanks for replying to my message.

I was in a regular bay as the disabled bays were full.

Small world eh Mr Grumpy, that you live in Tameside.

Do you know the car park we were in, its the one opposite the main council offices?

My hubby was like "we are not parking there again" lol.

The one thing I found strange was that the car make on the ticket says Freight Rover when in fact it is a Ford.

As I am really bad at doing letters, is there a template one on here that could help me?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Catherine
ryanred5
Hi

Can anyone help with the questions in my previous message, especially the one about a template for a letter for appealing.

Thanks

Catherine
dave-o
There's no mileage in the wrong car type.

Template letters are not advised. Once people have given you info on your appeal points you will write them in your own words and then we'll check it and suggest improvements.
ryanred5
Hi

I have done a first draft of an appeal letter regarding my recent PCN, could you please have a look at it and suggest any improvements to it.

As I said above I'm not a great letter drafter so I hope my 1st draft is okay.

"Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you in regards to a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN No ?) that I received on Thursday 04/12/08 from ?, the reason given on the notice was "Parked in a car park without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket or voucher or parking clock (83)".

I am disabled and have got a Blue Badge (copy enclosed), when driving through the ? car park on 04/12/08 there were no disabled bays empty, so we had to park in a normal bay. Usually I place my Blue Badge on the dashboard of my car but due to a lapse of concentration (a side effect of one of medications I take for one of my disabilities) I completely forgot to put my badge there.

As you may be able to tell from checking the details of my reg no, this is my first Penalty Charge Notice, as my Blue Badge has been on the car dashboard each time it has been parked before now.

Please could you could look into this PCN, and after checking details of my Blue Badge and the reason why it was forgotten, possibly overturn or cancel this ticket as a goodwill gesture?

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours faithfully"

Is that okay or too pushy?

Also it says on the back of the PCN that you can email Parking Services about appealing the ticket, is it worth emailing them as well as sending a letter in by post?

Thanks a lot

Catherine
Mortimer
Is it a good idea to tell the council that you were driving under medication that affects your concentration, and therefore possibly your ability to drive? huh.gif
southpaw82
QUOTE (Mortimer @ Mon, 8 Dec 2008 - 23:26) *
Is it a good idea to tell the council that you were driving under medication that affects your concentration, and therefore possibly your ability to drive? huh.gif

The council can't issue a PCN for that! wink.gif
Glacier2
But they could send the letter to the DVLA. Bye bye driving licence.
ryanred5
QUOTE (Mortimer @ Mon, 8 Dec 2008 - 23:26) *

Its not me who drives, its my husband.

I'd better make that clear in the letter hadn't I?

I can't drive unfortunately, too much of a wuss, plus with all the medication I'm on too.

Do you think its worth adding my medication list from my GPs with a printout of the internet page which states about the side effects of one of my meds?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Catherine
ryanred5
Hiya

I have changed my letter slightly to take into the comments above.

How do you think it reads now, is it okay?

"Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you in regards to a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN No ?) that I received on Thursday 04/12/08 from ?, the reason given on the notice was "Parked in a car park without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket or voucher or parking clock (83)".

I am disabled and have got a Blue Badge (copy enclosed) although it is my husband that drives not myself, as we were driving through the ? on 04/12/08 there were no disabled bays empty, so my husband had to park the car in a normal bay. Usually I place my Blue Badge on the dashboard of my car but due to a lapse of concentration (a side effect of one of medications I take for one of my disabilities) I completely forgot to put my badge there.

As you may be able to tell from checking the details of the cars reg no, this is the first Penalty Charge Notice we have had, as my Blue Badge has been on the car dashboard each time it has been parked before now.

Please could you could look into this PCN, and after checking details of my Blue Badge and the reason why it was forgotten, possibly overturn or cancel this ticket as a goodwill gesture?

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours faithfully"

What do you think?

Regards

Catherine
Mr Grumpy
Looks fine to me, lets hope there is a human in the office among the chimps tongue.gif
Anorak
As you have no previous then I would hope they cancel and in most such cases they do. They may argue that although you had a lapse of concentration, it is your husband as the driver, who was responsible for ensuring the badge was correctly displayed.
ryanred5
QUOTE (Anorak @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 19:59) *
As you have no previous then I would hope they cancel and in most such cases they do. They may argue that although you had a lapse of concentration, it is your husband as the driver, who was responsible for ensuring the badge was correctly displayed.

I understand what your saying but my hubbie had got out of the car and was getting my scooter out of the boot. Once I was out of the car and on the scooter he used the keyfob to lock the car.

Should I note that in my letter or not?

Thanks

Catherine
stevomac
If I were you I would make more of the fact that the ticket has the wrong make of vehicle on it.I once successfully appealed against a parking ticket issued by a local authority which recorded the wrong make of vehicle by arguing there was obvious doubt as to whether the attendant actually intended to ticket my vehicle or another (this was prior to photos always being taken though).All I had to do was send them a copy of the registration document and they immediately cancelled it.
ryanred5
QUOTE (stevomac @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 20:36) *
If I were you I would make more of the fact that the ticket has the wrong make of vehicle on it.I once successfully appealed against a parking ticket issued by a local authority which recorded the wrong make of vehicle by arguing there was obvious doubt as to whether the attendant actually intended to ticket my vehicle or another (this was prior to photos always being taken though).All I had to do was send them a copy of the registration document and they immediately cancelled it.

Would the PCN saying "Freight Rover" instead of "Ford" make it invalid, our car is a Ford C-Max btw?

Thanks

Catherine
stevomac
Someone else has said there is no mileage in the wrong type of vehicle being recorded but my experience would suggest otherwise.It would not do any harm to mention it in your letter of appeal.Any reply you get will need to make reference to it.
Anorak
QUOTE (ryanred5 @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 20:17) *
QUOTE (Anorak @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 19:59) *

I understand what your saying but my hubbie had got out of the car and was getting my scooter out of the boot. Once I was out of the car and on the scooter he used the keyfob to lock the car.

Should I note that in my letter or not?

Thanks

Catherine

I advise not mentioning it just in case they have not thought of it. You don't want to give them any leverage.

QUOTE (ryanred5 @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 21:08) *
QUOTE (stevomac @ Wed, 10 Dec 2008 - 20:36) *

Would the PCN saying "Freight Rover" instead of "Ford" make it invalid, our car is a Ford C-Max btw?

Thanks

Catherine

A PCN does not need to contain the vehicle make and colour to be valid. These are just extras that are recommended to be included by the guidance. If a CEO makes an error in recording these it does not usually result in a cancelled PCN.
ryanred5
Hi

I've got a few questioned to ask before I sort the letter out.

1. Should I send a copy of my medication list in with the letter?

2. Should I hand the letter in at the main council reception and get a receipt or send by Special Delivery?

3. Is it better for me to send a letter or use the appeal form (which I found on Tameside MBCs website?

4. Is the letter okay, as in what I've drafted?

Thanks in advance.

Catherine
ryanred5
Well I took my appeal letter into the council today, I made sure I got a receipt as well.

I took a copy of my blue badge as well as a list of my prescribed medications that was printed off at my doctors.

I'll have to keep my fingers crossed now and hope that the fine is cancelled.

I'll let you know what happens when I get a letter from them.

Thanks for all your help.

Catherine
ryanred5
Hi

I got a reply to my letter this morning (17 Dec) from TMBC Parking Services, they said for this time only they will waive the PCN. Excellent news, I'm thrilled to bits.

Thank you everyone who helped me to try and sort this out, your all stars.

Catherine xxx
dave-o
Good result.
Mortimer
Woo! Hoo! Well done! icon_cheers.gif
Mr Grumpy
Well done Catherine, i had a feeling TMBC would cancel, i've known them to do it before

Anorak
A victory for common sense and PePiPoo. Well done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.