Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught speeding due to a temporary/variable speed limit
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
shogunblue24
Hi, first time poster on this forum and posting on the behalf of my father who recently got that dreaded letter through the door.

It would appear that he was caught speeding on a road in Norfolk a week ago and was completely unaware that he'd been speeding at the time. According to the letter, the road had a variable or temporary speed limit of 60mph, but can be 50, 60 or even 70mph.

As my father is registered disabled and now has a job that requires him to travel considerable distances, he has been taking extra care with his driving. Gaining too many points would both jeopardize his new job and his independence. Let's face it, a man with one leg, a false hip and arthritis can't get far without a driving licence.

He explained to me that when he was unsure of the speed limit of any road he was travelling on during this specific journey, he used his sat nav to tell him the speed limit. Admittedly this is not a fool proof idea, but understandable considering his limited use of such technology.

He was caught travelling 70mph exactly, on a road that his sat nav told him had a 70mph limit. He didn't see any signs suggesting any other limit, but doesn't remember even seeing the camera itself either.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about this particular case, but I feel that he's been very unfortunate as he was genuinely trying to obey the law.

Any help or advice gratefully recieved, Tom
lauricha
Hey lovely,

Can you fill in the NIP wizard and post the details here? It should help the more experienced members give advice.

xx
arthurc
You need to tell us where this happened .... if it's a variable speed limit road then the signage must be properly sited and sized. Also the experts on here may be able to advise you what to look at to ensure you right permissions have been granted to enable a variable speed limit road.

As a frequent traveller on the A140 in Norfolk I am aware that they aren't the most diligent county when it comes to signage, but they are quite efficient when it comes to collecting fines.

If you can get the NIP and complete the NIP Wizard it will help lots.

In the meantime, write to the address on the NIP and ask if they have any photographs that will help to identify who was driving. Do not mention the words proof or evidence in your letter.
shogunblue24
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - November 2008
Date of the NIP: - 6 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 7 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A17 Tilney All Saints, towards Sutton Bridge
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Hi, first time poster on this forum and posting on the behalf of my father who recently got that dreaded letter through the door.

It would appear that he was caught speeding on a road in Norfolk a week ago and was completely unaware that he'd been speeding at the time. According to the letter, the road had a variable or temporary speed limit of 60mph, but can be 50, 60 or even 70mph.

As my father is registered disabled and now has a job that requires him to travel considerable distances, he has been taking extra care with his driving. Gaining too many points would both jeopardize his new job and his independence. Let's face it, a man with one leg, a false hip and arthritis can't get far without a driving licence.

He explained to me that when he was unsure of the speed limit of any road he was travelling on during this specific journey, he used his sat nav to tell him the speed limit. Admittedly this is not a fool proof idea, but understandable considering his limited use of such technology.

He was caught travelling 70mph exactly, on a road that his sat nav told him had a 70mph limit. He didn't see any signs suggesting any other limit, but doesn't remember even seeing the camera itself either.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about this particular case, but I feel that he's been very unfortunate as he was genuinely trying to obey the law.

Any help or advice gratefully received, Tom

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:02:27 +0000
nemo
QUOTE (shogunblue24 @ Mon, 1 Dec 2008 - 13:02) *
According to the letter, the road had a variable or temporary speed limit of 60mph, but can be 50, 60 or even 70mph.

Nothing out of the ordinary there - the 70mph, 60mph & 50mph (Temporary Speed Limit) Order 1977 came into force on 1 June 1977 and applied to all roads other than motorways within England, Scotland & Wales. The Order should have ceased in November 1978 but it was continued indefinitely by SI, also in 1978, and remains in place today.

QUOTE (shogunblue24 @ Mon, 1 Dec 2008 - 13:02) *
He was caught travelling 70mph exactly, on a road that his sat nav told him had a 70mph limit.

Was it actually a dual carriageway NSL ?

And what type of vehicle was he driving ?
shogunblue24
He has no idea what the road looked like as he didn't even realise he'd been caught speeding. I'd presume it must be dual carriageway at least if the speed limit can be up to 70mph? Or have misunderstood the letter? Please note that I'm getting the information from the letter via phone conversation as my father lives in a different city.

The car is a Nissan Note motability car.
arthurc
The A17 is a single carriageway. Although it has NSL signs up, it is a 60mph limit as it is single carriageway. If your father arrived from the Kings Lynn direction, he would have left the A47 - which is dual carriageway and 70mph which might have confused him.

It isn't a variable speed limit road and your father's satnav is wrong if it thinks he can drive at 70mph on there. I suspect that your father has set the satnav speed thresholds incorrectly.

shogunblue24
QUOTE (arthurc @ Mon, 1 Dec 2008 - 13:29) *
The A17 is a single carriageway. Although it has NSL signs up, it is a 60mph limit as it is single carriageway. If your father arrived from the Kings Lynn direction, he would have left the A47 - which is dual carriageway and 70mph which might have confused him.

It isn't a variable speed limit road and your father's satnav is wrong if it thinks he can drive at 70mph on there. I suspect that your father has set the satnav speed thresholds incorrectly.

Sorry 'variable' was a word I've used incorrectly. The NIP says it was a temporary speed limit.

If the road he was travelling on was single carriageway, then he should have been doing 60mph not 70mph. With this in mind, I'm sure he wouldn't dream of contesting the allegation. Even if he'd left a dual carriageway to join the A17 (a single carriageway), he knows better than to be going 70mph. He'll be paying his fine. smile.gif

Thanks for you help and prompt responses. I'll be reccomending your forum to friends and family as an excellent source of information and help on such issues.

Cheers, Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.