Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help & advice required please. . .
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
76jimmy
Hi,
I got a N.I.P through the post after i was caught by a "safety" camera van. I have rung up the police force who issued me with said n.i.p. and asked for evidence of the offence.
The man i spoke to in the phone was very decent and emailed me 2 photos of the alleged speeding offence from the video. As the pics are copyright i cannot publish them, but i could maybe email them to anyone that can help me fight my corner. wink.gif
Ive read that laser cameras are very unreliable at correct speed measurements on motorcycles due to size of the target, has anyone sucessfully proved this.
The 1st picture shows distance at 216.0 metres, speed at 90mph, time 1347:16 riding with a van infront and 1 behind me so are they also doing 90?
2nd photo shows no distance and no speed 4 secs later. BOTH pictures are taken from the front of me riding the bike, so can they use this as evidence as there is no number plate on show?
Help and advise needed Please.
southpaw82
QUOTE (76jimmy @ Mon, 24 Nov 2008 - 17:37) *
As the pics are copyright i cannot publish them,

Yes, you can.

BOTH pictures are taken from the front of me riding the bike, so can they use this as evidence as there is no number plate on show?

Yes, they can.
Pete D
They clearly have your reg. Either the operator turned round and eye balled your reg and wrote it down in his log or the van is fitted with a camera that looks through the screen to clock bike registrations. Pete D
76jimmy
Thanks for that, i least now what iam up against.
Should i put the photos on here for peoples points of view or keep them private.
Zed Victor One
smile.gif Wash them of any identification and post them up on here so that people can see whether the 'ping' was clean. smile.gif
76jimmy

Looks like i will have to take it on the chin

bama
ping doesn't look automatically 'dead on' to me - that zoom, the gap between traffic in both directions giing a very small time window (if the going away tarffic was doing say 50 and you were doing 90 thats a relative speed of 140 - how long would it take for that narrow window to open at 140 mph ? ?, street furniture, wing mirors. fighting for the video is hard v.hard - maybe getting the 30 second clip could be attempted.
Zed Victor One
bama, I admire your optimism in relation to the 'ping' but from 216 metres on a motorcycle you'd be hard pressed to show from the slight latitude in the cross hairs that it was not the intended vehicle. I'm not sure about your assumption of traffic travelling in both directions, picture appears to show the back of two mirrors, one in the inside being overtaken and one on the offside ahead of the OP, 76jimmy was this dual carriageway?
bama
I see the overtaking mirror on the right hand side of the shot as being on a receding vehicle. good question re dual carriage way.
its not where the reticule is on the still that concerns me but where it was before that frame and where afterwards.
Hotel Oscar 87
Sorry Bama, but if it was the mirror of a receding vehicle then wouldn't we be able to see the mirror? I suspect its the offside wing mirror of a van travelling towards the camera, that is, in the same direction as the OP's bike.
bama
I see it as the reflection of the paintwork of the receding van showing in the mirror. plus the wheels are just visible in bottom right hand side. look at relative distance of wheels and mirror from the camera. wheels closer, mirror further away. also looks like you (I) can see the curve of the top of the cab in the top right hand side.

anyone want to chip in either way - this comparing vision over the internet a very subjective thing.
Hotel Oscar 87
Subjective, yes, but at least we agree its a mirror!
The Rookie
Eh, we drive on the left as I recall, if that van was going away it would be on the other side of the road! Besides the angle the front van is making, you wouldn't see a receeding vans mirror round the back of it!

Crosshair to red dot to lase alignement culd be a fraction out I suppose, but the 60cm across beam is squarely on the front of the bike, I see little hope there.

Simon
bama
good point about driving on the left - doh !

also pasting image into an image viewer (instead of letting brower render it) changes that appearance (colour) of mirror.

I recant on the mirror. sorry chaps.
76jimmy
Hello chaps and chapettes.

Dont know if you like feedback and results on here, but you had the decency to help me out so you may as well know the result of my conviction.

Ended up going to magistrate court, 6 points £70 fine (iam unemployed at the moment) £43 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Thanks again,

Jim Loughton
The Rookie
We always like to know results, all good info, the fine is very low, even as unemployed it should have been between £125 and £175, so count yourself lucky!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.