Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loading Bay parking (vagueness)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
squigley
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you have come accross the problem of parking in loading bays?

the incident I refer to was when I parked my company van in a loading bay at approx 9.08am on a saturday. The sign near by stated that the area where I parked was free for loading between the hours of 00.00 and 10.00 (7 days a week). I then took my toolbox out of the van, closed and locked the doors (for security obviously), and went into a bank where I had to carry out some maintenance work. I needed to be in the bank to see what further tools/parts I would need to carry out my work, which I would then get from the van if needed, or move the vehicle elswhere (to a legal parking area) which is what I and other colleagues always do. Unfortunately, the process that usually takes 2 minutes max to verify my identity took almost 15 minutes due to forces beyond my control. I obviously could not leave a metal tool box (engineer style metal box) unattended in a bank whose staff didnt have confirmation of my reasons for being there (could of been a bomb! U never know?!).

after the bank staff eventually managed to verify my I.D. I checked out what else was required to carry out the work and returned to the van, where I found a PCN on the windscreen.

I have appealed once, and been rejected due to the traffic warden having waited 5 minutes without seeing any loading or unloading from the vehicle.

I feel like I was in a no win situation. Normally there wouldnt be a problem as I would have moved the vehicle elswhere (honestly, I would!) after checking in with the bank.

Im in the process of appealing formally with Gateshead council, but would like any views your members may have on the subject before possibly taking this to an independant tribunal.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but I thought Id give as much detail as poss.
quickboy
Being an HGV driver I understand your frustration at receiving a ticket whilst in a loading bay. AFAIK "Loading" can include a variety of things including waiting in a shop for staff to accept goods or waiting for paperwork. Loading also includes Unloading of course. Dont believe that "continuous" loading or unloading has to take place at the vehicles location. Sometimes the places I deliver to it is impossible to get my lorry to. I will find the nearest loading bay and often wheel a pallet down a narrow street for example to get to certain business premises. I know there are certain examples of what is defined loading and unloading in writing somewhere. I will try to look them up. It would be definetely worth appealing further against this ticket.
Teufel
read the patas case jane packer v westminster - key case on their website

quote it in appeal

all in yr favour
quickboy
http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals....ts/LOADADJ.pdf

This may just help you. Jane Packer amongst many others included within. Good luck
salmon
Hi
I have this problem all the time and like you work in Banks and maybe for the same firm by the sound of it.WDS
When i got mine i explained the problem as you have done but then sent in a worksheet to confirm my attendance at the Bank and if you can a covering letter off a staff member.When i did this on more than one occasion the tickets were cancelled.
Traffic wardens are now cracking down big time on loading bays and as they said they now allow 5-6 minutes going to and from the van.
I now try to find a warden when i pull up to tell them and you can usuallyy find them hiding behind a wall already writing out a ticket or at least you can in Solihull
quickboy

This is an extract from Cambridge City Council. I know the rules vary by CC but should be broadly in line with this.

I was unloading but I still got a Penalty Charge Notice.
All this means is that the CEO did not see you loading or unloading before they issued the Penalty Charge Notice.

You might be able to get this cancelled by providing an acceptable explanation why the vehicle was unattended for so long and a copy of any documents confirming that a delivery or collection was taking place.

southpaw82
Go for it - you were clearly loading (or carrying out matters ancilliary to that).
jufair
In cases where parking/loading bays are concerned can you get pics of the actual bay, the end markings of that bay, including what is written on the road, also the signs at the side of the bay, and what colour the bays are painted in.
It is important that the end of bay marking should be shown, and if possible, a full length view down the bay.
From my travels a lot of parking bays are non compliant withe the regualtions because of the wrong type of end markings, and bay widths.
To mention a few places, Leeds, Kirklies Area, Barnsley, Rotherham, Cromer, Sherringham et al
quickboy
QUOTE (jufair @ Sun, 23 Nov 2008 - 21:19) *
In cases where parking/loading bays are concerned can you get pics of the actual bay, the end markings of that bay, including what is written on the road, also the signs at the side of the bay, and what colour the bays are painted in.
It is important that the end of bay marking should be shown, and if possible, a full length view down the bay.
From my travels a lot of parking bays are non compliant withe the regualtions because of the wrong type of end markings, and bay widths.
To mention a few places, Leeds, Kirklies Area, Barnsley, Rotherham, Cromer, Sherringham et al

Jufair, perhaps you would care to take a look at my own case photos #311087. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.