Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Month Rule
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
DevizesD
I was flashed doing 61 in a 50 on the A38 just outside Bournemouth on the the 3rd of June this year.

Because I had changed address it took until August for the NIP to catch up with me. I therefore queried the 14 day rule with the police who came back and explained that the NIP was delayed because I had moved and because of that it was still valid. I have been taking as long as possible with this as I am currently on 9 points and any further conviction will mean a ban. I was then offered a fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points which I waited as long as possible with and then sent the form back accepting the fixed penalty. Unfortunately this was rejected due to the number of points I have and a letter was sent saying that the matter had been referred back to the police to be progressed. That was over a month ago and I have heard nothing since.

My question is - in a couple of weeks time it will be 6 months since the the original incident. Is there a rule that says that these cases need to have come to court by that time and if that is the case and the 6 month deadline passes does that mean they cannot continue to prosecute.

I have heard mention of the case being laid before the court within 6 months - what does that mean and can a summons to court still be issued after that time and if so how long does it have to be before I can breath out again.

I suspect that I may be grasping at straws here but it would be good to know what the timelimits are. What are the normal sort of timings that I can expect.

Many Thanks

Dave
redloner
An Information must be laid before the Court within six months of the date of the alleged offence. The Summons can then be issued months after that and still be perfectly valid. I suggest you ring the Court that normally handles speeding offences for the Police Force/SCP in question after 3 December to ask if an Information has been laid in your name.
bargepole
QUOTE (DevizesD @ Tue, 18 Nov 2008 - 13:21) *
I have heard mention of the case being laid before the court within 6 months - what does that mean and can a summons to court still be issued after that time and if so how long does it have to be before I can breath out again.

Correct, they have to lay the information before the Court within 6 months of the offence, so they must do that by 4 December.

Depending on the area, some Courts can then take 5-6 weeks to produce a summons, possibly longer with the Xmas break coming up, so it'll be end of January before you get one, if you do.

What you could do is telephone the Mags Court nearest to the offence location - presumably Bournemouth - after 04/12, speak to the listings department, and ask if any information has been laid in your name.
The Rookie
When they say there isn't, take their full name and 'position' as they may well then be a key witness!

Simon
DevizesD
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Will wait for the 4rth of December, phone the courts and hope for the best
Hotel Oscar 87
Hi DD

When you said "A38" did you mean A338? Dependent on where on that road you were flashed (presumably during the roadworks there if it was in the area north and east of the Cooper Dean interchange or at one of the fixed Gatso's west of there) your case could either go to Bournemouth or Wimborne. It by chance it was in the section north of the A31 then that would almost certainly be heard at Lyndhurst.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.