Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should he have done?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
ukdeveloper
Hi,

A colleague of mine declared his vehicle SORN. Like a mug he parked it outside his house on a public road and sure enough, yesterday, along comes mr DVLA on his pizza delivery bike followed very closely by Mr Towawaylorry.

He took a couple of photos and both me and my collegue dashed down to greet him.... My collegue jumped in his car and refused to let Mr DVLA or Mr Towawaylorry continue their action.

I told my collegue to drive off and park the vehicle on a neighbours drive (had permission). I was told by Mr DVLA that if he moved the car he would be nicked. I advised Mr DVLA that he had no power of arrest and that there was no way my colleague could be arrested by him.

Mr DVLA told me he would call the police and my colleague would be forced by them to vacate his vehicle. I told Mr DVLA to do just that. Mr DVLA told my colleague that he would be in a lot of trouble if he listened to "this a**sole" (meaning me...his exact words) and he would get a £1,000.000 fine. I told my collegue tht he would NOT get a £1,000.00 fine, he would get UP to £1,000.00 fine upon conviction.

Mr DVLA suddenly said "I cant be bothered with this" and went across the road and "lifted" another car, leaving my colleague to drive to the neighbours drive.

Worryingly, just before Mr DVLA drove off, he whispered (but loud enough for 3 witnesses to hear) that I should "be worried cos he knows where I Live". A 100% threat. now im not worried in the slightest as he does NOT know where i live cos I was at a colleagues house.

My questions are these......

1). What WOULD have happened if the police were called?

2). Should this man be reported for making this threat?

3). What will probably happen to my colleague now?

4). If my colleague is reported for this to the DVLA (or whoever), because Mr DVLA was such a B****rd, could he not say

"yeah, I saw Mr DVLA turn up so I ran downstairs and asked if i could move the vehicle to my neighbours drive and Mr DVLA said 'course you can mate, I dont care..... and proceeded to lift the next car just down the road" ???? (remember there are three witnesses too)

now i KNOW my colleague should not have parked where he was... but he IS a bit of a div... and thought SORN means he couldnt DRIVE on the road not park on it.

C
Pete D
I suspect you will get fined for keeping a Sorn vehicle on a public road, he has a photo to prove it and back tax to when it expired. There is also a question of valid insurance on the Sorn vehicle, even sitting in the car with the keys could bring a charge of no insurance and 6 points and a large fine would apply but I do not how they would trigger that. If you did subsequently move the car and the DVLA guy had a photo of that then it could just surface. Good Luck. Pete D
spanner345
QUOTE (ukdeveloper @ Wed, 5 Nov 2008 - 14:44) *
... but he IS a bit of a div... and thought SORN means he couldnt DRIVE on the road not park on it.

Statutory Off Road Notification knob.gif

Which bit of Off Road does he not understand?
southpaw82
QUOTE (Pete D @ Wed, 5 Nov 2008 - 15:11) *
I suspect you will get fined for keeping a Sorn vehicle on a public road, he has a photo to prove it and back tax to when it expired. There is also a question of valid insurance on the Sorn vehicle, even sitting in the car with the keys could bring a charge of no insurance and 6 points and a large fine would apply but I do not how they would trigger that. If you did subsequently move the car and the DVLA guy had a photo of that then it could just surface. Good Luck. Pete D

There's no requirement to be sat in the car or have the keys in the ignition to require it to be insured. It must be insured when it is used on any road or public place. "Used" in this context includes "available for use" so a parked, locked up car requires insurance just as much as one being driven.

Were it me (insurance aside) I'd have driven it away - don't want to carry on committing an offence, do we. I'd be long gone before the old bill arrived.
spanner345
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Wed, 5 Nov 2008 - 15:23) *
QUOTE (Pete D @ Wed, 5 Nov 2008 - 15:11) *

There's no requirement to be sat in the car or have the keys in the ignition to require it to be insured. It must be insured when it is used on any road or public place. "Used" in this context includes "available for use" so a parked, locked up car requires insurance just as much as one being driven.

Were it me (insurance aside) I'd have driven it away - don't want to carry on committing an offence, do we. I'd be long gone before the old bill arrived.

Anyone with a motor trade insurance covers that car, or any other car, it is only a requirement to notify the insurance company within 14 days I understand.
Pete D
Thanks Southpaw, I know that but I was pointing out that he was even sat in the car with the keys and the DVLA guy may have taken a photo which may be presented to the BiB and trigger a few questions of the OP. Pete D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.