Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed signs approaching a truvelo fixed camera
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
JAGO
Hi ive got a NIP for doing 38 in a 30 in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. The camera is a truvelo and took the picture of the front of my vehicle and the picture confirms it was me.

Ive been up that road since. It is an A road but the camera is in a built up area hence the 30 limit. There are no speed limit signs on that road at all. I was under the impression fixed cameras had to have a speed limit sign within 1km of the camera ?

Do I have a case if I opted to take the offence to court ?
southpaw82
There is no requirement for a speed limit sign within 1km of a camera. However, the road does require speed limit signs. Since it is a 30 mph limit in a built up area I will take a risk and say there is a system of streetlights on that street? Where those streetlights begin there should be two 30 mph signs. Are there?
nemo
QUOTE (JAGO @ Tue, 4 Nov 2008 - 20:14) *
I was under the impression fixed cameras had to have a speed limit sign within 1km of the camera ?

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 provide that a combined speed camera / speed limit sign (Diagram 880) may be placed within a built-up area where the speed limit is indicated by the presence of street lighting AND not more than 1km from a speed enforcement camera. (And there is only permitted to be one such sign on any approach to the camera).

As already pointed out, the regulations do not provide that such a sign must be placed within 1kn of an enforcement site.
JAGO
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Tue, 4 Nov 2008 - 20:28) *
There is no requirement for a speed limit sign within 1km of a camera. However, the road does require speed limit signs. Since it is a 30 mph limit in a built up area I will take a risk and say there is a system of streetlights on that street? Where those streetlights begin there should be two 30 mph signs. Are there?

NO. I come into Chesterfield from the motorway on a dual carriageway (national speed limit signs), come to a big roundabout where i turn left onto Chatsworth Rd. This is still dual carriageway but has retail outlets either side and has street lighting but no speed limit signs. After another roundabout this road goes to a single carriageway and again no speed limit signs. This is a built up area with residential houses either side and street lighting still. Then theres the speed camera in question. The only road sign in place is the 'Speed camera enforcement area' sign. From where Chatswoth Rd starts to the camera is 1.9 miles - I measured it today, not one speed limit sign.

So do I have grounds for defence or not ??
BaggieBoy
There should have been a 30 MPH sign when the limit initially reduced. After this point no signs would be required (or even allowed) if the streetlights were 183m or less apart. If you are sure you didn't pass such a sign, you need to get back there with a camera pronto.
captain swoop
From what you are saying you are coming into town off the M1 then going right across the town cerntre to the other side of town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.