Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice about attending court please!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Biffda
Hi,

Long story cut short - I was caught doing 106mph on the A74(M) in Dumfries back in September. I had the NIP, and sent it back, listing myself as the driver.

I have no intention of contesting this in any way, I was speeding, got caught, and will take my punishment accordingly.

What I would like advice on is whether I should attend court? I have the option of attending court in person, pleading guilty via post, or sending a solicitor.

Is there likely to be any benefit in attending court personally? Will it be viewed favourably? I will have to fly up to Dumfries (I live in the south), stay in a hotel the night before and attend court the following morning. Will this be seen as gesture of how seriously I'm taking the offence or would it be a waste of time and money?

Thanks in advance,

Biff
jobo
bit of a dilema

normally its a good idea to go and grovel,

but at that speed you may get a ban and they cant ban you in your absence, but they may well just adjourn and require you to attend anyway
crackpott
I doubt that your gesture of how seriously you take the matter would be taken into account. You would probably find some cynical pompous Magistrate giving you a lecture on why, if you took it that seriously, were you doing 106 MPH in the first place
You intend to plead guilty so I would suggest you just cut your costs and do it by post. I think Im right in saying your fine and points will be the same whether you attend or post.
arthurc
If you plead guilty by letter and don't attend then you know you will get the fine and points (unlikely to make any difference if you attend as the magistrates have their guidelines).

If you attend and they take a very dim view and want to ban you - they can't without adjourning and requesting you to attend - they probably won't bother and just give you a fine and points. Don't give them the optiopn to take your licence by attending. If they adjourn and you have to attend - then it would be worth the expense to go and give your mitigating statements about why you want to keep your licence.

IMHO
The Rookie
This is D&G, a ban is very likley, and as its Scotland, no magistrates...

You could try a written plea to try and avoid a ban, but suspect they will want to drag you into court regardless.

Simon
Biffda
Thanks folks.

So, why have they given me the option of pleading guilty by post? Surely with the likelihood of a ban being high, they would just request that I go there, and get it done in one day?

Still don't know whether to attend or not. May write a grovel letter and plead guilty...see what happens.

Biff
The Rookie
QUOTE (Biffda @ Mon, 3 Nov 2008 - 16:51) *
Thanks folks.

So, why have they given me the option of pleading guilty by post? Surely with the likelihood of a ban being high, they would just request that I go there, and get it done in one day?

Still don't know whether to attend or not. May write a grovel letter and plead guilty...see what happens.

Biff

Because its standard paperwork that is why.....the court service don't decide the punishment so the same option is given to everyone.

Personally I would not attend and 'expect' to be called to face the music at a later hearing but hoping against hope they want to get me out of the way with points/fine and not a ban!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.