Full Version: [NIP Wizard] ruddlescounty
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
ruddlescounty
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - September 2008
Date of the NIP: - 11 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 12 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Mile End Rd East of Cambridge Heath Rd E1 EB(1558)
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 3
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - i was travelling east on the A11. stopped at traffic lights at the crossroads of mile end rd and cambridge heath road. the conditions were good and light (17:30). the road is two lanes each direction (one is a bus lane but not operational at that time). i pulled away from the lights when they changed, cant remember the traffic details, assuming fairly busy as it always is just there. Camera placed on the side of the road a couple of hundred metres up from the lights. i was flashed at 42 in a 30. though i really dont remember the camera going off and i travel this route every day - so i am very aware of it. Therefore i was very shocked when i got the NIP through my door on Friday morning.
thats about it for this one, though i am worried that i have two more.
one is a definite, but i have opted for speed awareness workshop (though i am not sure i will be accepted 36 in 30) and i was flashed on the 9th on the A102M the day before this NIP dropped on my doormat.
so a potential 9 points in a month to add to my 3 from 2006. I could be looking at a ban - i cant believe it - i dont tear arse around like a teenager, long way from it! just the bike gets up speed so quickly i really need to keep my eye on the speedo in 30 mph areas.

any advice greatly appreciated...
cheers

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:41:44 +0100
The Rookie
I would always advocate
1/ Writing and ask for "photo's to help ID the driver" or similar, it may highlight a problem, at worst you get a souvenir (don't ask for ‘evidence’ or ‘proof’).
2/ Reply to confirm who was driving and giving all the info they want in a letter (inc ref numbers) so they can't use image recognition software on your form and have to work for a living!

The scammers are all on fixed budgets now, so the more work they have to put in to ‘do’ each ‘customer’ the less ‘customers’ they can ‘do’!

Simon
ruddlescounty
hi thanks for the reply.
when i ask for this how do i go about it - do i write to them before returning the form, or at the same time i.e. with the completed form, or instead of.
if instead of, do i still have to send back the form within 28 days? or do i wait for their response before sending the form? bit confused!

also on point 2 - is this instead of the form too??

sorry for being so laboured but i belive one is encouraged to be as accurate as possible on this forum!

thanks again.
jobo
yep as asap to get picies

you can send a letter instead of the form, iit does piss them off

you have to reply inside 28days unless you can get an extension of them
andy_foster
QUOTE (ruddlescounty @ Tue, 14 Oct 2008 - 14:33) *
when i ask for this how do i go about it - do i write to them before returning the form, or at the same time i.e. with the completed form, or instead of.
if instead of, do i still have to send back the form within 28 days? or do i wait for their response before sending the form? bit confused!

The idea of asking for photos to help you to identify the driver is that they are far more likely to oblige than they are to respond to requests for 'evidence'.
If you name the driver at the same time, the charade is exposed.

Asking for photos does not automatically extend the statutory 28 days to provide the driver's details, but if you have not received a response when the end of the 28 days is approaching, a quick phone call (being careful not to give anything away), explaining that you have asked for photos to help you to identify the driver, have received no response and are concerned that the 28 days will be up shortly, is likely to result in them offering you more time.

also on point 2 - is this instead of the form too?

Yes. The idea of this is not to send them their form with the information laid out how they want. If you send back the completed form with your alternative response, it defeats the object.

sorry for being so laboured but i belive one is encouraged to be as accurate as possible on this forum!

It's better to ask and receive the answer you expected, than not to ask and realise that you should have...
ruddlescounty
thanks all,
letter being typed out now (PS are there any examples - i know it's not rocket science but if there is a template...)

ruddles
jobo
no just make sure you get all the info they have requested on to it

if you waffle a bit and they strugle to to read it so much the better
ruddlescounty
oooh, i can certainly waffle...
happy.gif
ruddlescounty
i have been away for a couple of days and just got round to writing the letter - is it safe to post on here? it is a bit waffley - but i dont want to piss them off so much that they dont send the photos...

ruddlescounty
ok, i now have my reply from the nice people. they have sent me some photos with an explanation of what the gatso figures mean. should i post everything up for people to look through - see if i have a chance on a "technicality" or do i just take my medicine? of course being a motorbike, theres no way to determine it's me - but then again, it's unlikely any one else was riding my bike!
i have seven days left for the S172 - do i write back with details (as opposed to filling in the form)?
any advice as always, gratefully received.
ruddles.
PS not had any nip from my other flash on 10th Oct, so i assume i am safe now? 14 days well gone...
ruddlescounty
Hi again. i'm now running out of days to complete my S172. got four left. if i write back to them instead of filling in the form - what do i need to say?
yes it was me, this is my name and address and dob. is this a better method than just filling in the form? i am hoping to mess them about as much as poss.
jobo
as before , waffly letter containing all info they requested, include form with see attached written on it, stapled to your letter

why dont you wash the vrm ect of the picies and post for people to review
ruddlescounty
Thanks jobo, that's what i was asking a couple of posts ago... is it worth me posting my stuff up here. trouble is i dont know how. help? :-)
ruddles.
jobo
frequently asked question should help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.