Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speed cammera
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
outcast68
I was following a friend , in a vehicle ...

later on we both received a speeding ticket for driving over 30 mph through a speed camera (static mounted.)

my ticket had the same time and speed as my friends...
he sent off a letter of appeal, and said that how can two drivers be prosecuted for the same time and date
on the same road...he received a letter letting him off..

i thought as he was let off , it would be the same for me...

i ignored letters of "yes i was the driver , please convict me"
and didnt appeal , i was told to see how it goes by a freind...

they are now going to summons me to court for the same alleged offense...
i was behind my freind..so how can he be let off, but not me?

thanks for any help

outcast68
James-76
I think you should have used the same defence as your friend and just ignoring the NIP is what has got you in trouble.
Your friend should have suggested for you to do the same as him but it seems following his advice he sorted his out and you get the full blame. I would hate to think he delayed you so that his was sorted because if both involved it could have had you both in court ohmy.gif
Faraway
you probably wont be going to court for the original offence now but in all probability for failure to identify the driver at the offence which now carries double the number of points of the usual speeding. Whole different ball game now i am afraid.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (outcast68 @ Sun, 12 Oct 2008 - 11:48) *
i ignored letters of "yes i was the driver , please convict me"and didnt appeal , i was told to see how it goes by a freind...

I take it he/her is no longer a friend, as that was probably the worst advice possible.

So what have they actually summoned you for? The speeding, the failure to name the driver or both?
Zed Victor One
I think your friend was probably lucky as if there are two vehicles approaching and are constant distance apart it's apparent they're both travelling at the same speed.
Personally some years ago I was riding a motorcycle a constant distance behind the nice new Jaguar car in front when we both get pulled over for speeding. The Jaguar driver is there for all of 10 seconds and departs with nothing more than a word of warning. Meanwhile the yob on the motorbike, me, gets a ticket for speeding. I decide to go to court and explain to the nice magistrates what happened, turns out they couldn't give a t*ss and fine me and put points on my licence anyway.
Morally of the story appeared to be that if your a former England football manager and driver a shiney new Jaguar you get treated differently to a factory worker (as I was then) riding a motorbike, justice?
Hindsight is always perfect but you should have written in the same as your 'friend' did, ignoring the Sec. 172 was a big mistake. It may be possible that if your being summoned for both the speeding and Sec.172 that you could still talk the CPS into accepting a guilty to the speeding and dropping the 172, but it's only maybe.
outcast68
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Sun, 12 Oct 2008 - 19:23) *
QUOTE (outcast68 @ Sun, 12 Oct 2008 - 11:48) *
i ignored letters of "yes i was the driver , please convict me"and didnt appeal , i was told to see how it goes by a freind...

I take it he/her is no longer a friend, as that was probably the worst advice possible.

So what have they actually summoned you for? The speeding, the failure to name the driver or both?

the advice i was given was taken from this very forum, that another friend read..ie dont answer any letters or reply to any letters because its been known for driving offences committed in another city can be lost in the system if your not local to the city in question....
bad advice i know...only thing i can do is get a copy of the letter set to other driver and explain he got off so i asumed the same, dumb i know , but it might work....

ps its driving offense not failure to report im getting done for...

outcast68
andy_foster
QUOTE (outcast68 @ Mon, 13 Oct 2008 - 01:18) *
the advice i was given was taken from this very forum, that another friend read..ie dont answer any letters or reply to any letters because its been known for driving offences committed in another city can be lost in the system if your not local to the city in question....

I doubt that very much

ps its driving offense not failure to report im getting done for...

Currently, you're wasting everyone's time (including your own) while we all play stupid guessing games, trying to ascertain the relevant facts.

What happened?
Were you stopped at the side of the road, or did you receive a NIP through the post?
What exactly have you received and sent, and when?

Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard (including the detailed questions reached by clicking on the Additional Questions button on the second page), and the Wizard will then post its output back here to enable us to help you.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (outcast68 @ Mon, 13 Oct 2008 - 01:18) *

No one with any sense would have said that on this forum, and if someone had said that, they would have been corrected very quickly.

Do as Andy says, give us the facts.
outcast68
fact , caught speeding on a gatso, didnt reply to letters sent , didnt report that the driver of the vehical was me, now summons to appear, in court.. two offenses, speeding and failure to report driver details...

stupid i know .
ye can all feel smug now...

throw this one in the bin......

The Rookie
While they have no evidence to prove you were speeding, they have you bang to rights on the S172, they are probably offering you a get out, talk to the CPS before hand, they will probably agree to drop the more onerous S172 in exchange for the 'normal' speeding.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.