Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volvo T5 Police Car didnt pull me over for speeding?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
qwerty123
I was driving home minding my own business and then spot a Volvo T5 police car parked in front of the cemetery on the other side of the street. It was parked with the front of the car facing my direction of traffic. I now know its a 30 zone and I think i must have been going about 45/50mph so easily over the speed limit down the road before I spotted him which would have been way too late. I carry on for another mile down the road, at slow speed and just go home. Then 10 minutes later, out of curiosity, I drive back in my other car to see if it was still parked there. The same police car had just pulled out of some traffic lights and headed back into its original position. I went to get some petrol and drive past again but the police car had gone. Half a mile down the road, next to traffic lights it had pulled out of before, the police car had pulled over a taxi driver, lights flashing etc.

What I want to ask is can a T5 catch me for speeding and then prosecute me without pulling me over.

If I could not see him, is there a chance his laser gun can't see me either.

Do Lasers work inside the glass of a car or does the policeman definately needs his window down. (or do t5's have other equipment that read my plate and log my speed or even take a picture of me).

sad.gif
Gaza
If you are the Registered Keeper you will know within 14 days if they have clocked you. It is unlikely you will hear as traffic cars will generally pull you at the time although it is not unheard of for them to issue a NiP.
cjard
They work inside glass but they are not supposed to gun you with the windows up in case the glass affects the reading. You might well get a situation where they gun you with the windows up but then claim they were down..

As it is, if there were two officers in the car, enjoying a coffee and watching the traffic go past they can simply say to one another: "He a speeder? What do you fink?" "Yeah.. Definitely excess speed that one" "Get the plate, will you, I just dropped my donut"

And bam, a NIP can turn up for you based on two officer's *opinions* - no gunning necessary. Charge: excess speed (doesnt need to say how much

Now, just wait 14 days (if the car is registered to you - inform the car owner if it isnt, to keep an eye open over the next 14) and see what happens. You may well find they were looking for tax/insurance evaders, and they'd hared off down the road to chase a real criminal
Mr Grumpy
It could well be they were targetting taxis as they periodically do "in the interest of public safety"

As already said, you will know for sure within 14 days
ninja.gif
Hotel Oscar 87
QUOTE (qwerty123 @ Thu, 9 Oct 2008 - 01:59) *
What I want to ask is can a T5 catch me for speeding and then prosecute me without pulling me over.

Yes (well the occupants of it could, not the vehicle itself).

If I could not see him, is there a chance his laser gun can't see me either.

According to the ACPO RPET Manual lasers should not be used through glass but it has and does continue to happen (though rarely I believe - it used to be relatively common). However there would be no need for him to use a laser (see below).

Do Lasers work inside the glass of a car or does the policeman definately needs his window down. (or do t5's have other equipment that read my plate and log my speed or even take a picture of me).

As explained above lasers should not be used through glass but could you be sure neither of the ocupants weren't leaning out of the window - this needn't have been at a point when you were very close to them. The maximum range on the LTi20-20 is 999m. Almost certainly the vehicle would also have Police Pilot/VASCAR fitted in which case he could have sat there all evening with a pre-fed distance simply timing each vehicle through that distance and not had to stop any of them. I'm afraid that Gaza's advice - waiting the 14 days is going to be the only real answer to the situation.

As for other equipment that could read you reg. no. from an evidential viewpoint there need not be anything more that the eyes of the crew although there would almost certainly be video fitted. Depending how far back from the road they were ANPR may or may not work.
Teufel
probbaly sitting there on overtime playing tetris on their new blackberries
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.