Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speeding
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
dave_206
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post and can i just say that this forum seems ace!

Right im 19, my two year probationary period for new drivers finishes on october 12th 2008. I got my first three points for overtaking on a solid white line in august, (even though i could see the road ahead huh.gif . And i may have got another 3 points on sunday...

I was driving on the A614 in east yorkshire today along a long peice of straight road. There was 3 cars in front of me that i had been stuck behind doing about 50 mph for ages. So we i got on the straight bit of road i floored it past them (got to about 90mph) before easing of the gas to get back to about 60 mph. About 200 metres ahead i saw something a bit suspicious then as i got closer i realised there was an un-marked nissan xtrail and pc plod. He had a device on a tripod, i dont know if it was a speed gun, or a mobile speed camera thing. I was only going about 50-60mph as i passed it but im worried how far these speed guns can see ahead, as i was doing 90mph a few seconds before. When i realised what it was i sh*t myself as i'm 3 points from losing my license (still in probationary period) so i turned round and talked to the policeman.

He was a decent copper, he wasnt acting like an arsewipe like most traffic cops do. And i asked him if he just caught me speeding, he said no, they were only after people going really fast (like 90 and above) and they werent interested in people going 60-70. He said there was an unmakred skoda octavia vrs a bit further down the road (in the opposite direction) chasing after people who were going really fast. But he didnt fill me with confidence when he said i "shudn't have been caught speeding.

So what i want to know is how likely it is that the device was a mobile speed camera and i will get a ticket in the post? I read somewhere else that even mobile speed traps have to have some sort of warning on the roads to deter drivers from speeding. There was no signs next to the nissan x-trail and it was un-marked, however there are speed camera signs all along the a614 ( even though there arent any) so will this be classed as a warning?

If i get the penalty after oct 12th ( when ive finished my probationary period) will the points still go on my license for before oct 12th ( which means i will have to take my test again?)

I need my driving license to get to uni (which is an hour away by car, but 2 - 3 by public transport) do you think the court will let me off under that mitigating circumstances thing?

cheers for any help !
southpaw82
QUOTE (dave_206 @ Mon, 6 Oct 2008 - 20:19) *
So we i got on the straight bit of road i floored it past them (got to about 90mph)

That was silly.

He was a decent copper, he wasnt acting like an arsewipe like most traffic cops do.

In your vast experience of traffic officers, no doubt rolleyes.gif

And i asked him if he just caught me speeding,

So what i want to know is how likely it is that the device was a mobile speed camera

Already answered.

and i will get a ticket in the post?

Didn't he say he didn't catch you? There you go then...

I read somewhere else that even mobile speed traps have to have some sort of warning on the roads to deter drivers from speeding.

No, they don't.

If i get the penalty after oct 12th ( when ive finished my probationary period) will the points still go on my license for before oct 12th ( which means i will have to take my test again?)

The relevant date is the date of the offence, so yes.

I need my driving license to get to uni (which is an hour away by car, but 2 - 3 by public transport) do you think the court will let me off under that mitigating circumstances thing?

No.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.