Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrong road name and poor signage
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
dstones
I need some advice to help my 16 year old son. He was stopped on his 50 cc motorbike for "Contravening a no entry sign" Location given as Broad Street. I attended to ask what the issue was. It appeared he had visit a freind parking a car park attached to a number of social houses. The entry to this parking area is off a short stretch of one way street. On leaving he turned left to the end of the street which as it turned out was the wrong way. I pointed out to the police that there was no signage to indicate that he had to turn right so it was a easy mistake (The police office did agree to check and record this). You can also guess that all this resulted in was a warning that he could go to court but risked getting 6 points instaed of 3. This is critical for a 16 year old as they pointed out he is only allowed 6 on a provisional licence.

After the police had gone I had a good look at the fixed penalty notice and realised that not only had he not gone through a no entry sign as he had entered from half way along road but also the street is actually Kyle street. As you come to the end of Kyle street (admitedly in the wrong direction) you cannot turn right up Broad Street as this is no entry and agaist the main flow of the town traffic. If you turn left it is two way and this is the way my son went. The Police were comming down Broad street and stopped at the give way sign where it becomes two way to let him out. They did not stop him until he was well away and therefore I cannot see why Broad Street is on the slip.

I have also checked the one way street again and accept that the route he took before parking in the off street car park would have meant that he passed the one way signs earlier.
However it is also possible to enter another carpark from the two way part of Broad Street leaving by the only exit onto the one way section of Kyle Street for which there are again no right turn turn arrows or road markings.
Is it worth fighting or as my son says as a 16 year old he does not stand a chance?
Lynnzer
Yeah,
you gotta have a go at this one.
I guess it would be better to have someone with local knowledge assist on this though.
In the meantime if you can scan and post the FPN with all the personal details carefully removed.
If you can also tell us which town it is we may very well be able to see what the exact situation is by looking at Google Earth.
dstones
The town is Ross-on-Wye, Hereforshire, HR9. The street name is spelt as Kyrle. The Road I called Broad street and that is what it is known as is called The Wye Valley B4234 on multimap. The one way system on Broad street is from the junction with the B4260 towards the junction with Kyrle street after which it becomes 2 way. Kyrle street is one way for about 1/3 of its length only and that is in the direction of the junction with the B4234.
not sure how to attach scanned FPN
nemo
QUOTE (dstones @ Sat, 4 Oct 2008 - 10:33) *
You can also guess that all this resulted in was a warning that he could go to court but risked getting 6 points instaed of 3.

The offence of contravening a no-entry sign carries a maximum of 3 points upon conviction, not 6.

This is critical for a 16 year old as they pointed out he is only allowed 6 on a provisional licence.

Not so. A 'new' driver is liable to have their licence revoked if they accumulate 6 or more points within 2 years of first passing a driving test.

The New Driver legislation would not apply in the case of a provisional licence holder who had not passed a driving test. So, in your son's case, he would have up to 12 points to play with (at least until he passes his first driving test).

..and realised that not only had he not gone through a no entry sign as he had entered from half way along road but also the street is actually Kyle street.

A minor spelling error on an FPN will not invalidate the notice, nor will it provide a defence to the allegation to which the notice refers.

But if the alleged offence did not occur, then that's quite another matter.

Is it worth fighting or as my son says as a 16 year old he does not stand a chance?

If you were able to obtain some photographs of the roads / junctions / signs in question and post the images into this thread, the members may be in a better position to answer that question..
bama
how to post pics
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autoco...ticle&id=16
Gaza
I think the offence is wrong. From what the OP has said his son at no time went through a "No Entry" sign. At worst he failed to comply with a directional arrow which, I THINK, is an non-endorseable offence i.e £30 and no points.

It may be worth contacting the BiB who issued the ticket and pointing this out to them. After all they never saw him go through a no entry sign and made an assumption based on him driving the wrong way down a one way street.
dstones
Can anybody tell me of a web site that is true, up to date and which tells me for sure if an offence is endorsable or not.
Two I am really interested in are . Driving the wrong way down a one way street and the other is contravening a no entry sign.
I cannot be sure as I am betting mixed information from different websites including different police websites.

Ta.
Irish Stew
yea this one

wait for futher conformation before running with this but from memory

going through a no entry sign is, therefore going through a NES and going up a one way street is one offence and is endorsable( well two really but only one endorsment)

Ignoring a directional arrow, ie you comming out of a side road on to a one way strret
and ignore the arrow saying must turn left or right and then going the wrong way is not endorsable
sharewatcher
Going past a no entry sign is endorsable (sometimes)
It all depends where you went through it, and who you were caught by.

If you were caught by CCTV I think you will be safe from endorsements (decriminalised)
If you were caught by the police then it is endorsable (fixed penalty £60 + 3pts)
Hotel Oscar 87
Would this have anything to do with your son's escapades in Ross? See here. If so it would be a better idea to keep all of this in one thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.