Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules governing temporary speed restrictions
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bobg
What are the legal requirements for the use of temporary speed restrictions at roadworks?. Am I correct that any temporary speed restrictions have to be applied for - but what are the requirements, who is responsible for this - how can you check if these have been followed correctly? Presumably if there is a rolling roadworks - ie one that moves down the road, then each time it moves then any temporary speed restriction would then need to be re-applied for?
I would appreciate any advice on the above.
BAILIFFCHASER
There should be notice on each end of the works listing this. One at the satrt and the other at the end. If none then challenge.
The Rookie
The order for the temp limit will cover the whole area of the intended works, but is only valid while the road works are in place, it seems accepted that the limit can start before (circa 1 mile) and end after the works, but don't know how this matches 'the law', this allows them to 'role' the limit along to match the works, as long as its within the bounds of the order.

Simon
bobg
I would appreciate any clarification on what is regarded as street lighting in regard to the following:
A friend was flashed by a speed camera at night time on a restricted part (50mph) of a 'A' road which had lights on the side of the road - and were 'on' as indicated by the 'snaps' - high-up type rather than footpath lights.
The scammers in reponse to an indication that the terminal speed signs were not lit, as required by various road traffic acts said:
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions Act 2002 states that signs do not require to be illuminated if there is no system of street lighting within 25 metres of the signs and therefore the signs comply with the regulations.
Are they correct or are they wrong??. Are they just using bluster to get you to meekly accept whatever they say?
I would appreciate any web links to any associated information, Traffic Signs regulations to indicate one way or the other.
jobo
in essence yes, but ive a feeling its 50 meters ( might be wrong il check) but thats from the base of the light not the top

there does need to be 2 terminal signs and frequent every 400m or so repeate

wjat distance are the lights from the signs
sharewatcher
Rule 1 Scammers lie,

As above it is 50mts the regs can be found here
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2002/20023113.htm#sch17 item 10, 11

Edited to add,

the diagram number for a speed terminal sign is 670
Fredd
This spawning of multiple threads for what are surely not more than one or two actual cases is unacceptable. If you don't answer Andy's question in your last thread and identify which of your threads concern the same case then I'm going to just merge them all.
bobg
Thankyou for your replies.
Looking at the regulations indicates the lighting rules applies only to Trunk or Principal roads. However I have seen somewhere on a previous post that suggested the definition of Trunk or Principal roads was a bit vague. Is a 'A' road regarded as a Trunk or Principal road - are there any regulations that give the definitive information??.

I am not sure the distance between the lights and unfortunately the location of the incident would involve a long journey to check. Though where lights are put on 'A' roads aren't there standard distances between lights??
Lynnzer
Take a look at the Highways Agency website an it'll give you a map of all trunk roads.
The Rookie
QUOTE (bobg @ Mon, 22 Dec 2008 - 12:51) *
I am not sure the distance between the lights and unfortunately the location of the incident would involve a long journey to check. Though where lights are put on 'A' roads aren't there standard distances between lights??

If you want to pursue the defence you will have to go back, and no there is no set distance between lights, just a 183m (200 yards funnyly enough) maximum between consecutive lights for it to count as a syste of street lighting.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.