Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] In Brunstrom's back yard!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sko_ed
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - September 2008
Date of the NIP: - 8 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 9 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - B5106 Dolgarrog, Conwy
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - .
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Getting nabbed for doing 36mph in a 30 mph zone feels a bit harsh. What do you guys think? £60 and 3 points?

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Wales

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:39:54 +0100
BaggieBoy
A speed awareness course is a possibility for a 36 in a 30, assuming North Wales offer them. Otherwise £60 and 3 points is a certain outcome.
quickboy
You may get lucky and be offered a Speed Awareness Course. Otherwise £60 and 3 points is the standard "offer". ACPO guidelines say that enforcement should start at 10% + 2 (35 in a 30).
popsaw
Was this a cattle truck that got you? I think there is one around Dolgarrog?
I recently got pinged in Blaenau FFestiniog (Brunstroms territory) doing 36mph and got offered the 'speed awareness' course which was in Flint.I have not killed anyone in my car since laugh.gif
sko_ed
Yeah that's right Popsaw. A big white (unmarked) truck. But the camera totting taxman was wearing the flourescent jacket though.
What's the speed awareness course like? I read on the net that people on the course 'must confront the consequences of excessive speed'.... Does that mean gory photos of mangled cars and people? Not much looking forward to that but I quite fancy a go in those driving simulators.... I was pretty good in the arcade.
popsaw
It is set in a large room with tables and chairs set out in a large U shape.there are a few slides and a couple of videos to test your awareness of hazards signs etc.No accident shots or anything like that.You will also hear few of the flawed statistics that are normally trotted out. Take it if its offered.It lasts about 4-5 hours but passes quickly.If you can,find a corner chair and have a snooze!
Ps,you get a free copy of the Highway code.
sko_ed
cool... sounds like a uni lecture. (The having a snooze bit wink.gif )
I'm sending off my NIP tomorrow. Will let you all know what happens....
sko_ed
........well I got an offer of a speed awareness course! But wait for it.... In North Wales! That's about 5 - 6 hours to get there from Plymouth. And in order to be there by 1pm I'll have to leave here at 6am!
Is it possible to re-schedule one closer to home?

Thanks,
Sko_Ed
popsaw
3rd from last paragraph here http://tinyurl.com/3vb6jj indicates that it may be possible. further than that I cannot help,sory.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (sko_ed @ Sun, 5 Oct 2008 - 13:51) *
........well I got an offer of a speed awareness course! But wait for it.... In North Wales!

And this surprised you? North Wales want some money from you, one way or the other. They wouldn't be happy for you to pay Devon and Cornwall for a course would they?
Mr Grumpy
I can't imagine Brunstroms Bucaneers allowing their cash to go elsewhere, i tried that in 2006 and had to go from Manchester to Greenfield N. Wales for my SAC

Bassads!
huh.gif
peodude
QUOTE (quickboy @ Thu, 18 Sep 2008 - 21:49) *
You may get lucky and be offered a Speed Awareness Course. Otherwise £60 and 3 points is the standard "offer". ACPO guidelines say that enforcement should start at 10% + 2 (35 in a 30).

The cameras are set at a recommended 10% + 2 anyway are they not?
cjard
........well I got an offer of a speed awareness course! But wait for it.... In North Wales! That's about 5 - 6 hours to get there from Plymouth. And in order to be there by 1pm I'll have to leave here at 6am!

You want their biscuit, you gotta jump through their hoop.. You can, of course, see if the offer if the SAC timeout, plus the offer of a fixed penalty timeout (if they choose to fpn you) gets you anywhere near the 6 months timeout for court.. Then you can hope and pray they dont get their act together in enough time to take you to court and sting you a higher fine (though you can plead guilty via post and avoid the travel).. Slight insurance load for the next 5 years etc etc

Weigh it up.. in terms of fuel and time driving to the SAC might not actually be worth it, if your insurance only rises by a tenner a year and you are worth £200 a day.. You will of course, have 3 points which may see you closer to defending a totting ban earlier than otherwise expceted.. but if youve driven X years thus far you may feel you can do another X without a hitch. Most people would take the SAC, but you may choose not to

ps; what were you doing in wales the last time? visiting? do they not want you back or something? smile.gif
Gaza

Thanks,
Sko_Ed

Only if they are part of the National Speed Awareness Scheme. Some forces, e.g. Dorset, run their own so you can only do the course in Dorset.

If NW are the same then you have to weight up whether the trek is worth saving 3 points.
sko_ed
Once again, thanks for the numerous replies... I rang 'em yesterday but the won't/can't let me do the course in Devon so looks like another holiday (albeit a single day) at Holywell in North Wales on the 1st December. Don't mind so much as I like Wales. Being NIPped by the North Wales police the day after climbing Snowdon was a bit of a bummer.
Think I'll be driving there as the train is over £140 and then I'd need a taxi for the remaining 4 miles. Plus the train timetable leaves little room for 'leaves on the line' or 'the wrong kind of snow'.

-Sko_Ed
Mr Grumpy
I would suggest you use the same tactic as me in North Wales, as they have a no tolerance policy i set my own speed limit of 25 mph at all times, boring but neccessary, just to "Arrive Alive" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.