Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Camera and multiple prosecutions
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
needguidance
A new camera has been installed locally. The lights don't let many through and you can get stuck across the junction when it goes red. I've had 2 letters in 2 days and am concerned that I may have some more. The speed recorded was 15 and 18 mph.

I don't think the camera is set up correctly and theoretically if I've done this twice more, I'm in for a ban. It doesn't seem right. icon_cry.gif Can anyone provide any advice, please ?
Observer
QUOTE (needguidance)
A new camera has been installed locally. The lights don't let many through and you can get stuck across the junction when it goes red. I've had 2 letters in 2 days and am concerned that I may have some more. The speed recorded was 15 and 18 mph.

I don't think the camera is set up correctly and theoretically if I've done this twice more, I'm in for a ban. It doesn't seem right. icon_cry.gif Can anyone provide any advice, please ?

Re-post this in "Judicial process". You'll get help there. And provide more details. What do you mean by "letters"?
DW190
QUOTE (needguidance)

First this is in the wrong place. Not doubt one of the boys will move it.

I take it its a traffic light camera.

If as you say you got stuck across the centre of the junction you will be ok by pleading not guilty.

However, these cameras take two photos, one when you cross the white stop line and another when you are approx 1/3 to 1/2 way throught the junction. To convict you both photos have to have the red light showing. If only one photo is produced you cannot be convicted.

Traffic light cameras are usually pretty reliable and IMO a good thing. Going through red light is stupid and dangerous.
matt1133
dw, i understand what you say in regards to going through red lights being dangerous etc,

however, i have experienced a set of lights with a camera which change from amber to red within a split second, this caught out many motorists as there was no way to avoid going through the lights when they changed from amber red, which ended in the lights being sorted out, clearly they adjusted the lights for money making purposes, but now they are set correctly thankfully.

this stupidness must end, 4 of those and you would have been banned.

if there are any irregularities in the sequence it should be fought, i believe bill stated that all lights must be on amber for at least 3 seconds, any less and its unlawful
needguidance
Thanks for the v useful advice. I'll check out the timing of the lights.

Generally, I would agree about dangerous but, you had to be there (it wasn't honest!)

Regards
DW190
QUOTE (matt1133)
dw, i understand what you say in regards to going through red lights being dangerous etc,

however, i have experienced a set of lights with a camera which change from amber to red within a split second, this caught out many motorists as there was no way to avoid going through the lights when they changed from amber red, which ended in the lights being sorted out, clearly they adjusted the lights for money making purposes, but now they are set correctly thankfully.

this stupidness must end, 4 of those and you would have been banned.

if there are any irregularities in the sequence it should be fought, i believe bill stated that all lights must be on amber for at least 3 seconds, any less and its unlawful

matt

I agree entirely with what you say and my post said the following:

If as you say you got stuck across the centre of the junction you will be ok by pleading not guilty.

However, these cameras take two photos, one when you cross the white stop line and another when you are approx 1/3 to 1/2 way throught the junction. To convict you both photos have to have the red light showing. If only one photo is produced you cannot be convicted.

I know there have been remote occasions when TL cameras have been keen or more the amber light is keen. But to be "stuck across the centre of the junction" is challengable and IMO easily won.

I have said exactly the same to others and when they have got their photos low and behold they had crossed the line on red and continued through the junction.

If the amber light is keen needguidence should get the lights videoed and challenge the allegations to the hilt.

But I will say it once again 99.99999999999% of tickets issued at traffic lights are legitimately issued and in my opinion rightly so.

Sorry if anybody doesn't like my opinion on this but I have seen some nasty incidents with cars turning right with a filter in their favour only to collide with a red lighter coming in the opposite direction. Blame usually ends up with the innocent party footing the bill and the red lighter in the clear. (crossing the path of oncomming traffic)

I would suggest that needguidance first checks the lights. If they are keen, get the video and come back for some advice on how to progress.
matt1133
what do you mean by 'get stuck across a junction', do the cameras flash say if you are stuck in traffic halfway across a junction when the lights change back to red?
Observer
QUOTE (DW190)
But I will say it once again 99.99999999999% of tickets issued at traffic lights are legitimately issued and in my opinion rightly so.

Possible spurious precision?

(I agree generally with your sentiments)
matt1133
dont get me wrong, i agree with red light cameras, just not ones that are set up on lights which have been clearly changed to maximise the amount going through the red light with it staying on amber for a split second then to red
TomP
Just a provocative thought here!

When I took my Driving Test over 30 years ago the Highway Code stated you should not enter a Junction if your exit is not clear! It still does does it not rolleyes.gif

TomP
ukanalyst
When I took my Driving Test over 30 years ago the Highway Code stated you should not enter a Junction if your exit is not clear! It still does does it not

The exception being if it is a yellow box junction and you are turning right across oncoming traffic methinks.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml

Dave
TomP
QUOTE ("ukanalyst")
When I took my Driving Test over 30 years ago the Highway Code stated you should not enter a Junction if your exit is not clear! It still does does it not

The exception being if it is a yellow box junction and you are turning right across oncoming traffic methinks.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml

Dave

Dave
The operative words are "if your exit is clear"

So if your exit is clear when you want to turn right you can stop in a junction while awaiting oncoming traffic to pass or be stopped!

Tomp
ukanalyst
Fair point well made Tom, I'll read the post twice before I reply next time! I guess I was subconsciously making the assumption that exit being clear requires oncoming traffic to be absent as well. But you are quite right.

Dave
peteturbo
its only yellow box junctions, not unmarked junctions.
I believe these rlc's have a speed radar and wont trigger of your speed is below 5mph (ie stationary).
You say you have speeds of 18mph and 15mph recorded.
So i assume you are saying you entered a non boxed junction, with an unclear exit, on a green light. By the time you got moving again, at 15 or 18mph, the light had turned red and the camera got you.
Unlikely, but not impossible. The photos will show and then the argument will be clear.
matt1133
i always believed that the camera would only flash if you passed over the white line when the light was red, not when already over.

i assumed they operated using the rubber strips under the tarmac and were activated when you pass over them on a red light
DW190
QUOTE (matt1133)
i always believed that the camera would only flash if you passed over the white line when the light was red, not when already over.

i assumed they operated using the rubber strips under the tarmac and were activated when you pass over them on a red light

I believe you are correct
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.