Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zapped Doing 48mph In A (supposed) 30mph Zone By Pro Laser Iii (prolaser 3) - What To Do?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
blastmasterd
Hi,

I'm so glad I've found this site. A gargantuan information source with a wealth of knowledge available.

However, it's so vast that I'm not sure where to look. I've searched extensively, but am still not 100% certain what to do.

I was driving past Richmond Upon Thames down the A312 (Great Chertsey Road). This is a dual carriage way which is typically 40mph.

As I know the stretch of road so well and where all the fixed cameras are, I was driving at about 40.

Out of nowhere, a traffic officer (motor cycle) comes running out of the entrance to Richmond Cemetery into the road ahead of me and flags me down. There were numerous cars behind me. He tells me I was speeding 48mph in a 30 mph zone. I noted the device was a Pro Laser III Infrared Lidar System. In small writing at the base of the unit it said Seimic Laboratories.?

Firstly, I haven't seen any signs stating it's a 30 mph zone (I'll go back tonight and check for certain). Secondly, how can I trust the accuracy of this device? He was standing ahead of the car and the weather was slightly overcast.

I was driving a red Hyundai Accent (I'm broke OK). I've read that dark colours as well as aerodynamic bodies can affect readings. Is there any merit in this and (more importantly to me) does it apply to my scenario?

I am fuming that I have been hit with this by some idiot with a 2 digit IQ. I'm not just venting, the guy was exceptionally thick and just kept repeating 'official lines' when questioned.

I seriously doubt this guy's ability to use the device accurately and also question it's calibration.

I would be grateful in hearing anyone's suggestions as to what to do...

I look forward to your help and guidance.

Many thanks
Zed Victor One
Running into the road hey? must be new to traffic duties as generally we don't run unless we really have to!

The colour or shape of your car will have little bearing on the device other than a very marginally slower time to give a reading, 0.5 of a sec instead of 0.3 sec, as light colours reflect better. If he's directly ahead of you then there is unlikely to be any slip effect. The only time the weather will affect the laser is if it's raining and then the range will be reduced but not the accuracy, it simply being an overcast day will have no effect on it whatsoever.

I am fuming that I have been hit with this by some idiot with a 2 digit IQ. I'm not just venting, the guy was exceptionally thick and just kept repeating 'official lines' when questioned.

I seriously doubt this guy's ability to use the device accurately and also question it's calibration.

You don't actually need more than a 2 digit IQ to operate a Pro Laser III although clearly it's beneficial to have more than this if your to avoid being caught by one. The official line usually get's repeated when you've heard the same tedious questions and snipes at the police for the 10th time that day. There's little point in engaging in a conversation with someone of a single digit IQ who's only response to being caught is to ask inane questions and make pointless comments.
You can question it's calibration, if you received an FPN for this offence complete the section requesting a court hearing and plead not guilty. Amongst the disclosure pack that you will receive will be a copy of the calibration certificate.

Go back check the signs, get a copy of the local traffic order for the 30 mph limit and check that it starts and finishes where it's supposed to. There should be two larger terminal signs on wither side of the road as you enter the 30 mph limit. The first repeater sign should be within 200 metres of these signs and subsequent repeater signs should be 250 metres apart if on opposing sides of the road and 400 metres apart if on the same sign of the road.
Check these are in order and if not you should have room to maneouvre.
blastmasterd
QUOTE (Zed Victor One @ Wed, 20 Aug 2008 - 22:14) *
Running into the road hey? must be new to traffic duties as generally we don't run unless we really have to!

The colour or shape of your car will have little bearing on the device other than a very marginally slower time to give a reading, 0.5 of a sec instead of 0.3 sec, as light colours reflect better. If he's directly ahead of you then there is unlikely to be any slip effect. The only time the weather will affect the laser is if it's raining and then the range will be reduced but not the accuracy, it simply being an overcast day will have no effect on it whatsoever.

You don't actually need more than a 2 digit IQ to operate a Pro Laser III although clearly it's beneficial to have more than this if your to avoid being caught by one. The official line usually get's repeated when you've heard the same tedious questions and snipes at the police for the 10th time that day. There's little point in engaging in a conversation with someone of a single digit IQ who's only response to being caught is to ask inane questions and make pointless comments.
You can question it's calibration, if you received an FPN for this offence complete the section requesting a court hearing and plead not guilty. Amongst the disclosure pack that you will receive will be a copy of the calibration certificate.

Go back check the signs, get a copy of the local traffic order for the 30 mph limit and check that it starts and finishes where it's supposed to. There should be two larger terminal signs on wither side of the road as you enter the 30 mph limit. The first repeater sign should be within 200 metres of these signs and subsequent repeater signs should be 250 metres apart if on opposing sides of the road and 400 metres apart if on the same sign of the road.
Check these are in order and if not you should have room to maneouvre.

Zed Victor,

I am so grateful for you assistance and impressed with your knowledge and speedy response.

I shall look into all those variables and post back here.

Thanks again.
retroman
I basically agree with ZV1. If you were given an FP remember you are on a time frame and will have to deal with it or have it revert to a summons. If you were reported for process you have some thinking time.
blastmasterd
OK, so i went back to the area yesterday. There is a 30mph sign way, way before I got caught with no repeater in sight. Also, there was no sign WHERE I TURNED ONTO the road itself. The 30mph sign is along the road in question, but you only get to see it if you are driving along that road for a while prior to where i was stopped.

Thoughts?
Pete D
Waht was the speed limit on the road you turned out of, I suspect a 30 so the road you joined was a 30. That exactly did the office give you. A producer or a FPN. Pete D
blastmasterd
QUOTE (Pete D @ Fri, 22 Aug 2008 - 15:26) *
Waht was the speed limit on the road you turned out of, I suspect a 30 so the road you joined was a 30. That exactly did the office give you. A producer or a FPN. Pete D

Good question. I believe a 30mph I turned off of, but onto a dual carriage way which is typically 40mph. I was given a Fixed Penalty Notice.

I also need to produce my driving license in a couple of days. What to do???
retroman
If you were given an FP with a driving licence production requirement then you have 7 clear days from issue to comply. If you dont you commit a further offence for which you may be prosecuted. So the bottom line is you have to take your licence in to the police station. What you have to decide is are you going to let them keep it in order for you to pay the ticket.
If you dont then the ticket will revert to process and a summons will be issued. Dont forget you can follow this course and still plead guilty at a later stage. It may cost a few bob extra in costs though.It will give you time to review the evidence.
In relation to the dual carriageway, if you came from a 30 and there were no new signs then the new road is probably a 30. If the road had a system of street lamps 200yds apart (183m) then no other signs are needed if it is a restricted road.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (blastmasterd @ Sun, 24 Aug 2008 - 20:58) *
Good question. I believe a 30mph I turned off of, but onto a dual carriage way which is typically 40mph. I was given a Fixed Penalty Notice.

I can't see you winning this in court, if the speed limit is legal (and nothing you've said would indicate otherwise), then taking it to court is just going to cost you more in fines. My rule of thumb, when driving along a road that has streetlights, assume it is a 30 MPH until you see signs that indicate otherwise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.