Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camera Van And Changing Home Address
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Eastwest
I may have been caught on a Camera Van doing 34mph in a 30mph speed zone today.
I have not received a NIP of course!!

I am moving house tomorrow and moving to a new address. If a NIP is forthcoming within the next 14 days would it be appropriate for me to update my driving license change of address sometime during next week? The theory being that they may use my old address for sending the NIP, which of course I would not receive.

Is this a valid reason for failing to respond?

Or will I find my self unknowingly added to a summons list somewhere awaiting an out of the sky arrest on a highway at some time in the future?

Interesting case. Has anyone read of anything similar. I can't find any history cases like mine.

Great website - pity about the PACE route. I used it three years ago and it worked fine for me.

Regards,
Eastwest!!!
Gaza
How do you know your were caught? Did you stop and go and ask the operator? If not and you are only guessing, then at 34 your are inside the tolerance level = limit + 10% + 2mph i.e. 35mph. This is the speed they begin enforcement, not the upper limit for tolerance.

Pissing around with your address won't work. They will send the NiP to the Registered Keeper at the RKs last know address. This has nothing to do with the address on your license. Just how did you think they would know it was the owner of Driving License Number DIOTI 010408 PR8T that was behind the wheel?
Eastwest
Well if you check the Magistrates Guidlines Points Calculator and enter just 1mph over the speed limit the penalty points is 3 - no mention of this tolerance that I am also aware of. I am also aware that most speedometers read high meaning that you are usually travelling slower than indicated.

I did go back, but I did not ask the operator. I went back as the van was unusual and I wanted a closer look. I saw it in my rear view mirror having past it in a layby.

Noted about the Driving License address. Well the same question applies to changing the Registered Keeper address then? What effect will this have if I change it next week?
Gaza
QUOTE (Eastwest @ Thu, 21 Aug 2008 - 09:59) *
Well if you check the Magistrates Guidlines Points Calculator and enter just 1mph over the speed limit the penalty points is 3 - no mention of this tolerance that I am also aware of. I am also aware that most speedometers read high meaning that you are usually travelling slower than indicated.

The guidelines I am referring to are set by ACPOS and are totally separate from the Mags sentencing guidelines. The Mags guidelines don't come in to effect until you appear in court. That woudl only happen if (a) you were offered a fixed penalty but declined it or (b) you were already on 9 points and had to attend court.

I did go back, but I did not ask the operator. I went back as the van was unusual and I wanted a closer look. I saw it in my rear view mirror having past it in a layby.

Noted about the Driving License address. Well the same question applies to changing the Registered Keeper address then? What effect will this have if I change it next week?

I have no idea where you think all this pissing around with your address is going to lead, except to a possible charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice if they suspect a deliberate attempt to wriggle out of it.

If you have been caught there is a good chance the NiP is already on the way to the address held by the DVLA for your vehicle. If you have a redirection it will be sent to your new address. If not, then the new owners/occupants will return it as "gone away". The scammers will then begin looking a bit harder. They will frequently contact the DVLA to see if there has been a change and you will then get a NiP once they have the new address. The 14 day rule won't help as the NiP was served withon time at your last known address.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.