Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Little Help, Got Caught With No Mot
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
IhateCamden
Ok so my MOT expired 1st of april, I got pulled over on the 4 Th of april and spot checked, on the police mans system it showed I had an mot, tax but no insurance, probably as I just insured the car, he gave me a producer, only for my insurance. Great I thought, I had got away with having no MOT.
I ordered myself a cover note, it came, i showed this at my local station. It was not acceptable as it was dated after my incodent, i then ordered a new 1 but it never came. I asked the police station for more time, which they agreed too ( but not in writing). Just yesterday i received a court order that i attend court for no mot, the statement that came with it from the police officer mentions nothing about an mot just that he asked me to produce an insurance certificate.
Could i aybe get off on this technicality, i have the producer still as proof.
Also is there not a 15 day grace period between my mot expiring and me getting a new 1.
I cant upload nething as i have alredy sent it all back to the court with an innocent plea.
Pete D
So waht was the date the insurance company say your insurance started and when did you get the car MOT'd. Something is wrong here, they do not usually go to court for no MOT. There is more to this. Pete D
nemo
QUOTE (IhateCamden @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 16:14) *
Just yesterday i received a court order that i attend court for no mot,

What exactly does (or did, if you sent it back) the statement of facts say ?

Also is there not a 15 day grace period between my mot expiring and me getting a new 1.

No.
cjard

No, but next year feel free to apply and have your car tested within 15 days of its expiry! You can always renew these things BEFORE the expire, you know!
Pete D
Actually it is one month prior to expiry but you point is valid. Pete D
Ferret
You can renew your MOT whenever you like prior to it running out.....the month period just allows you to forward date the new one. rolleyes.gif
spanner345
QUOTE (Pete D @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 16:45) *
Actually it is one month prior to expiry but you point is valid. Pete D

Actually it is one day less than one month.
Jimzzr
Ok so my MOT expired 1st of april, I got pulled over on the 4 Th of april and spot checked, on the police mans system it showed I had an mot, tax but no insurance, probably as I just insured the car, he gave me a producer, only for my insurance. Great I thought, I had got away with having no MOT.
I ordered myself a cover note, it came, i showed this at my local station. It was not acceptable as it was dated after my incodent, i then ordered a new 1 but it never came. I asked the police station for more time, which they agreed too ( but not in writing). Just yesterday i received a court order that i attend court for no mot, the statement that came with it from the police officer mentions nothing about an mot just that he asked me to produce an insurance certificate.
Could i aybe get off on this technicality, i have the producer still as proof.
I cant upload nething as i have alredy sent it all back to the court with an innocent plea.

Having no MOT will cost you less than it takes to fill your tank half up with petrol and doesn't attract any points. The real risk in having no MOT is that if your vehicle is found to be unroadworthy/dangerous (e.g. following an accident) you'll be treated far more severely for a fault that the MOT might have picked up (excepting things like bald tyres which you'd be expected to spot regardless). Why they are bothering to drag you to court for it is odd, have you been summoned for no insurance as well?
IhateCamden
QUOTE (Pete D @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 16:23) *
So waht was the date the insurance company say your insurance started and when did you get the car MOT'd. Something is wrong here, they do not usually go to court for no MOT. There is more to this. Pete D

it said no motor certificate, i read on the list they supplied that this means no mot, my insurance started about 5 days before, this they confirmed over the phone, but because they sent me a temporary cover note, this comes dated from the date i asked for the cover note, the insurance certificate just never arrived. The mater of the insurance certificate is just minor as it was defo just a blunder by the staff, i now have proof of insurance for the dates i needed it for and has been sent to the court along with my innocent apeal.
Pete D
And you new MOT date ??? Pete D
IhateCamden
QUOTE (Pete D @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 19:11) *
And you new MOT date ??? Pete D

if u mean when it was re passed it was 10th april 2008.
Cargy
Is it likely that with no valid MOT certificate, his insurance is invalid in any case? Or is that just an old wives' tale?

Carl
Just_Me
QUOTE (Cargy @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 21:06) *
Is it likely that with no valid MOT certificate, his insurance is invalid in any case? Or is that just an old wives' tale?

Carl

Yes that's what I had always thought. No MOT means no insurance..

Dan
nemo
QUOTE (Just_Me @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 21:38) *
Yes that's what I had always thought. No MOT means no insurance..

Not true..
Pete D
You waited 6 days to re-test the car. Please. Pete D
Barking Mad

Carl

Not having an MoT does NOT invalidate one's insurance - even if the vehicle is also clearly unroadworthy! That doesn't mean the responsible party wouldn't get nicked for no MoT as well as, for example, no (or bad) brakes, dodgy steering, etc, etc, etc (I think it's "construction & use").

arryace
i thought the term 'Motor Certificate' referred to insurance not MOT

and you should produce the new document to your elected police station and they in turn inform the court
Jimzzr
QUOTE (Barking Mad @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 22:56) *

Carl

Not having an MoT does NOT invalidate one's insurance - even if the vehicle is also clearly unroadworthy! That doesn't mean the responsible party wouldn't get nicked for no MoT as well as, for example, no (or bad) brakes, dodgy steering, etc, etc, etc (I think it's "construction & use").

I think it's a little more complicated than that. It won't invalidate it as far as the RTA is concerned i.e. security against third party claims. It could affect a claim you made for damage to your car and in principle (although I've not heard of it happening for roadworthiness) the ins. co. could make a civil claim against you for money paid out to a third party (e.g. if a policy has an invalid if drink driving clause). The ins. co. however could not refuse to pay the third party claim (because of certain parts of the RTA which they are bound by) even if they deemed the policy invalid i.e. you could find yourself being financially uninsured but still legal wrt the RTA.
spanner345
QUOTE (arryace @ Thu, 14 Aug 2008 - 23:27) *
i thought the term 'Motor Certificate' referred to insurance not MOT

and you should produce the new document to your elected police station and they in turn inform the court

I agree, they probably only want to see your insurance.
spanner345
If you had the car a year ago and had it mot'd, did the computer give you an extention to the mot expiry date due to "unused" mot on the old certificate.

There are situations where the mot expiry date on the certificate is not correct. This usually happens with "mis-matches" of chassis number, the computer assumes the registration details are incorrect and starts again from scratch.

This can in rare cases lose you up to a months mot......It can, I believe, be corrected, if you have details of the previous mot

This is clutching at straws, but it can happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.