Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some Questions About Mobile Camera Vans
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
aeu99184
hi folks could you answer a few q's i have about roadside camera vans?

1. can they lock onto you at night time?

2. do they allow the advised 10% + 3mph ?

3. is it the operators discretion whether you are speeding or not e.g doing 33mp in a 30 zone.

cheers

Gazza
nemo
QUOTE (aeu99184 @ Wed, 6 Aug 2008 - 21:40) *
hi folks could you answer a few q's i have about roadside camera vans

1. can they lock onto you at night time?

For the purposes of speed detection, yes.

2. do they allow the advised 10% + 3mph ?

The ACPO Fixed Penalty Guidelines suggest that the minimum action which should be taken when the speed of [limit + 10% + 2mph] is reached is the issue of a fixed penalty (ie not a warning). But note that the Guidelines do not preclude prosecution of any speed in excess of the posted limit

3. is it the operators discretion whether you are speeding or not e.g doing 33mp in a 30 zone.

At 30.1mph in a 30mph limit you would be 'speeding' - that is not discretional; it is fact.

Whether any action was taken by the camera operator (or their colleagues) would be a matter of force policy with regard to enforcement thresholds, or at the discretion of the individual concerned.
aeu99184
thanks.

i passed 2 camera vans one on the a66 going to newcastle and one on the m6 going back up to scotland.

was in my work van so i gather i will probably not hear anything for 4 weeks or so.

cant honestly say what speed i was doing. the first one was in a 60 zone and I was doing between 65 and 70.

second i was doing no more than 77mph

been sticking to the speed limit until I hear my fate!
nemo
QUOTE (aeu99184 @ Thu, 7 Aug 2008 - 18:41) *
was in my work van so i gather i will probably not hear anything for 4 weeks or so.

What sort of van ?
blood
Does the " for Purposes of Speed detection" mean yes they can Nick you at night or yes in theory they detect your speed but not Nick you due to low light levels???
Transit man
A66 to Newcastle is a 50mph limit for vans between 2 & 7.5 tonnes GVW on single carriageways & 60 mph on duals, M6 is 70mph for all vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes. So, potentially you could have been 20 mph over the limit on the A66 ohmy.gif
captain swoop
On the dual carriageway section over the summit going downhill towards Brough (A66) I have passed a camera van at 70 in my Dispatch and never heard anything, If you were on the dual carriageway you are prob going to be ok on that one.
Pete D
And the weight of the Despatch Is ??. So if you can go past the van at 70 then that makes it OK for every one else then does it. We do not even know the size of the OP's Van. Pete D
Transit man
GVW of the one Dispatch van I checked was 3 tonne, therefore the speed limit on the dual carriageway section of the A66 would be 60mph. If you "got away" with 70 it was either the scammer van was not operating at that time (setting up?), the operator was slow to realise it was a 2 tonne plus van or you were going by your factory fitted speedo, indicating 70 whilst in reality probably nearer 65 & therefore lower than the minimums that the local scammers use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.