NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: -
Date of the NIP: -
Date you received the NIP: -
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): -
Was the NIP addressed to you? -
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? -
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? -
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - No
Were you driving? - No
Do you know who was driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the Section 172 statement naming the person you believe was driving.
    You aren't incriminating them - they'll receive a NIP to complete themselves in due course.

(You might also like to let that person know that they can expect to receive one, and give them the link to this Wizard for when it arrives!)

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:22:28 +0100
NIPinthebud
Ooh dunno what happened there, I filled in the detailed Wizard but then it said it had timed out or something and just gave me the basic questions one at a time. It's my old friends at the Hampshire Constabulary who tried to get me for a 36 in a 30 in my wife's old car (and with the help of Pepipoo I used the old ruse of returning a blank S172 refusing the incriminate myself without a caution etc., and it timed out), but this time she was in my car.

So here are the full details:

What is the name of the Constabulary? Hampshire
Date of the offence: 26/06/2008
Date of the NIP: 07/07/2008
Date you received the NIP: 08/07/2008 (I think)
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): A31, BENTLEY BY-PASS, HAMPSHIRE
Was the NIP addressed to you? YES
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? FIRST
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? NONE
Description of events - My wife does not recall seeing any cameras, weather conditions were clear, road not busy.

I was thinking of replying with a letter saying I couldn't remember who was driving since we both drive it equally but it woud be pretty easy for anyone to deduce it was my wife, so I feel I have to fill in the S172 naming her.

However, when she gets her own NIP, I was thinking of getting her to try the "vague locus" argument to say that "A31 Bentley By-Pass" is too long a stretch of road. The bit that obviously bypasses the old A31 through Bentley is around 3-4 miles, but if you take it from the nearest roundabouts either side, it's 7 miles.

What do people think? Trouble is, the wife is likely to give in straight away and send her S172 back and take the COP (3 points and £60?, I don't think Hampshire offer speed awareness training) whereas if it were me again, I'd not give in without at least starting a fight...
jobo
the vague locas point may be good

but theres a fair chance the thing will end up being argued in court, if shes not up for it, then take the COFP now

as the fines will be a lot higher if you bugger about and then change your mind
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.