Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rk vs owner vs keeper vs discharging responsibility
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
peteturbo
Evening.

I'm in a bit of an interesting situation with my car, and I was wondering if anyone had any views. It doesn't relate directly to speeding but it does relate to issues of responsibility; s172 etc.

Just tried to tax the beast and couldn't find my V5 reg doc, which i assumed i must have received since i've had the car over a year.

I did find the tear off strip.

When i phoned DVLA, they said; you are not the rk, you'll have to apply for new v5, will take 4 weeks. I said what about my tax? They said tough, nothing you can do until the v5 arrives, you'll have to keep it off road.

I was pretty pissed off because the previous owner should have sent in his v5, my tear off bit distinctly says DONT send off; wait.

Then it hit me. Who is responsible? me or the rk? Well the rk, obviously. I can drive around whilst waiting, and provided i dont get clamped, nothing can happen. Its his responsibility, he doesn't know who i am, and even if he finds me, I'm the Owner, not the rk. ITs up to him to discharge his responsibility.

Now this isn't very fair, or nice, but is it my problem?

Maybe he has a string of s172 convictions since he doesn't know me? maybe I have timed out loads of speedings? Lets not think about the insurance however.

I dont condone the above; it has come about through slack paperwork on both parties.

Another area where the law is inherently putting unfair burden on the individual for paperwork which although not a written crime is an actual one (like a drivers log - where is that required in law?).

Peteturbo
even bikers use a car sometimes
anton
I would contact thr RK and ask them why they did not send in the V5. If he gives you any cheek tell him that you are going to drive through london and to expect a bill! icon_wink.gif

horror story is that there could be missing parking and speeding tickets

Truth is he probobly did and the post office or DVLA lost it. However DVLA have cottoned on to this and plan to charge £29 for a replacement V5.
ps ( they could earn lots of money losing V5's)
peteturbo
Hi Anton,

Problem is, I bought the car through a mate since i was working in france at the time; he did the deal and delivered the car. I cant get the details of the previous owner. I have to trust the previous owner to send of the v5, but if he lets me down, he gets nailed for anything i do wrong.

My rather immoral story is that the previous owner seems to be doing me a big favour. Maybe i should go and annoy my local gatsos?

My point is; the law is an ass. I can do what i want and appear rather untouchable.

Anyone want to sell me a car?
Captain A
Beware that you do not void your insurance by driving a car which is not taxed - they just love that small print.
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (Captain A)
Beware that you do not void your insurance by driving a car which is not taxed - they just love that small print.

You can't say that. It depends on the small print. I've had policies which do, I've had policies which don't.
peteturbo
That is a good concern I am aware of, but thanks for mentioning it.

But I took out my insurance with the honest intention of being the rk.

Again, it appears to be the rk's fault, and he may beliable.

What a farce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.