Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camera Van Locations
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
The Hobbit
Hi,
Great site, wish I had found it before I rolled over, paid the fine & took the points.

Can someone tell me if there are specific areas where these so called safety camera vans are allowed to be, or can they just turn up any where?
The reason I ask is that I was caught supposedly doing 88 in a 70 ( sure I wasnt but if plod says so then it must be true) on the A303 in Hampshire near Andover a couple of months ago. This is not a usual area for these vans and does not show up on my Sat Nav or my now brand new updated Road Angle as a " mobile safety camera zone". They usualy lerk a few hundred metres or so up the road and this plus many other zones are clearly displayed on Road Angle + Sat Nav.

If they can turn up anywhere, what is the point of having Mobile Safety Camera Zones on these camera detectors?

I would really appreciate some clarity on this for the future.
BaggieBoy
They can operate anywhere they like. I checked the PGPSW site map and it shows two known mobile sites on the A303.
southpaw82
QUOTE (The Hobbit @ Mon, 14 Jul 2008 - 17:08) *
If they can turn up anywhere, what is the point of having Mobile Safety Camera Zones on these camera detectors?

So they can sell them to people who like that sort of thing?
The Hobbit
So "moblie safety camera zone" means previously known sites recorded onto the database?
wolfie
QUOTE (The Hobbit @ Tue, 15 Jul 2008 - 08:34) *
So "moblie safety camera zone" means previously known sites recorded onto the database?

I don't know about other scammeraships but the South Yorkshire one publishes mobile camera locations for the next fortnight on their website. They rotate between the same locations, so after a while you can build up the complete list and stick it in your satnav as POI's.

It just means that your satnav is always beeping at you, and often for no good reason.

The only other way to do it is sit down every week and manually add and remove the POI's, which I can't be bothered to do.
Blackbird
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 14 Jul 2008 - 22:57) *
They can operate anywhere they like. I checked the PGPSW site map and it shows two known mobile sites on the A303.

Yes and the vans are often there, I have probably filled a whole tape on my own at those locations!
Fact is, they do not have to publish data on the sites.
Wiltshire list 40 sites on the 303 with the 2 near Andover listed. That said, Wilts have been known to 'stray' from the information listed rolleyes.gif
The Hobbit
I was under the impression that publishing site data was a legal requirement, oh how I have a lot to learn about this Highway Robbery business.
The Rookie
Legal, no, just a totally ignoreable DFT 'guideline'......just like the guideline on visibility - doesn't stop them doing things like hiding you officer in a hi-vis jacket in either a horsebox or an old Renault traffic that has deliberately been 'beaten up' a bit to look like a builders lorry!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.