Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Local Authorities Above The Law?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
terminator x
In this article:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autoco...ticle&id=56

it states:

"Let us examine this �" if you over-stay at a car park then the land owner loses revenue. Thus if parking is £1 an hour and you overstay by an hour then the damage is £1. Any company may argue that you are liable for the time of any attendant who may be involved in the issuing of an invoice. This is nonsense. The fact is that the PPC employ staff to be at the car park for all eventualities. Their job description will involve the issuing and preparation of these invoices, therefore to imply that damages are incurred by the involvement of an employee hired for this express purpose is a quite ridiculous prospect and should be sternly resisted (particularly when the cost of one of these invoices is more than the attendant is paid per day). Alternatively if you park incorrectly and use two bays I would suggest that in all reality the most that could be said to be valid damages is the value of the spaces you have used (so if you obscure a second space then double the cost of your parking). So as you can see actual damages in these cases will be absolutely minimal. Why, therefore, do the PPCs seek to charge the users of the car parks figures like £50 and £70? Simply because people do not know any better than to pay. The principle surrounding this is very similar to that surrounding bank charges. Banks cannot charge their customers extortionate rates for going over their overdraft limits (breaching their contract). The law is exactly the same for Private Parking Companies. Thus should matters progress with the parking company you should use this as the cornerstone of your defence."

Whilst the above is wrt private companies, why does this principle not apply to the Local Authotities? Point in case being parking across two bays ... damage must be limited to the cost of another parking ticket rather than £60+?

This post in no way relates to another thread of mine where I'm about to be hit for a £90 fine for allegedly (sp?) parking "beyond the bay markings".

Thanks for your time, TX.
Teufel
because parliament has given them statutory powers to do so

this is not ablove the law this is the law
Gumball-330
These laws are specifically designed to trap & catch out the motorist because of huge potential revenue for local government. And it's getting worse, now all you need do is be caught by CCTV and the ticket is in the post. Big Brother is watching us all and there is very little we can do about it, the court system/law etc is all set up in favour of local councils. Who else can send bailiffs to take your car/personal property without any firm evidence or chance to a hearing with you present?

We are being governed at the moment by the most ‘car hating’ administration ever, Gordon Brown et al want us off the streets at any cost and the average Joe doesn't stand a chance. All this to push people out of their cars and onto unreliable over priced public transport. You name it, every bandwagon has been jumped on from the green agenda to road safety to further their obsession.
sarahg1969
They don't want us off the streets. They know people rely on their cars and will drive them at any cost, so they can get away with taking more and more money off us. They really don't want that revenue to come to a stop.
dave-o
The problem is that they have been making so much money from it for such a long time that it would be very hard for any other government to reverse the current stance. The shortfall in money would have to be recovered from another source, which would be unpopular with those who lose out from it.

I hope i'm wrong, but i can't see anything changing, no matter which government comes to power next.
bama
A LOT if the parking cash goes to outsource companies. NCP et al, back office processing firms, machine manufacturers etc. just have a look at any of the monthly BPA publications to see the size of this industry That said a LOT does go to councils. Not the most efficient organisations in the world and no need to be when they can keep sqeezing people, motorists, bin collections, crazy 'FPN's.... But a LOT of companies feed off that revenue. i wondr how much really goes into council coffers ? besides all that they have to get enough to pay their Execs more than the prime minister earns and fund those nice pensions. Then there is the huge off-the books drain that is PFI.
And yes many of them act (and believe) that they are above the law - and 'the system' condones it.
Don't get me started or I will go off on one rolleyes.gif
terminator x
Hold on there sad.gif the Law (really?) is that if you commit an offence (despite not proven) then you can be charged £60 reduced to £30 if you pay it quickly even though the "damage" is merely £4 if that?! Is the rest of the World just as bad as the UK blink.gif

QUOTE (Teufel @ Wed, 9 Jul 2008 - 14:59) *
because parliament has given them statutory powers to do so

this is not ablove the law this is the law
dave-o
QUOTE (terminator x @ Thu, 10 Jul 2008 - 13:57) *
Hold on there sad.gif the Law (really?) is that if you commit an offence (despite not proven) then you can be charged £60 reduced to £30 if you pay it quickly even though the "damage" is merely £4 if that?! Is the rest of the World just as bad as the UK blink.gif

To be fair, if a private individual made a small claims case against you, you would have to respond within a time limit as well.

I think you had 2 months to respond regarding the ticket you are angry about. I would say that's long enough.

And no i think there are very few, if any, other countries whose traffic fines systems are as mercenary and unforgiving as ours. Every day that passes i am more and more tempted to move to Canada. At least a bear can't eat you via CCTV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.