Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding... In a VAN... What is my Speed Limit?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > Government Policy
ac
Hi

I drive a Renault Trafic Van
Short Wheel Base
Standard Height

I was stopped by the police and told my max speed is 60 because I am not a CAR!

Can anyone confirm that this is the case please. I was under the impression that only vehicles with TACHO's fitted were restricted to 60MPH!

Any help much appreciated

Andy

(Please reply or send e-mail to ac@acservices.uk.com)

:-)
Blackbird
Hi

Depends on max vehicle weight. What is yours?

Regards
g_attrill
If it's a goods vehicle and is NOT a car derived van then it is limited to 50mph in SC roads, 60mph on DC's and 70mph and motorways.

Here's the detailed list:
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/e...vi/spedlimi.htm

Gareth
Tamara-D
Im sure this is not the correct forum for this post, however:

QUOTE (g_attrill)
If it's a goods vehicle and is NOT a car derived van then it is limited to 50mph in SC roads, 60mph on DC's and 70mph and motorways.

Here's the detailed list: http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/e...vi/spedlimi.htm

A goods vehicle under 2 tonnes can go 60/70/70 - it does NOT have to be a car derived van.
DW190
There HERE as well
ac
Well, it all seems to depend on whether it's a car derived van or not!! Not sure about this one so I think I will ask RENAULT!!!

Thanks all for your help

Andy :-)
Tamara-D
There are a number of small vans that are not derived from cars. I would not believe everything you read on websites! icon_redface.gif
DW190
QUOTE (Tamara-D)
There are a number of small vans that are not derived from cars. I would not believe everything you read on websites! icon_redface.gif

Its quite simple.

Has your Renault Traffic got more than four and up to 8 passenger seats.

In other words is it a minibus or people carrier. This speed limit was altered I think to cover the likes of transit/traffic vans being converted to minibuses.
garethplewis
ac

having been in a similar situation to yourself a couple of years back, I was told by the policeman that large vans, ie SWB transit upwards. (Which is the same size as a Renault Traffic) are subject to NSL-50 DC-60 M-70 speed limits, like a 7.5t truck would be. He said at the time a lot of people were caught out by this. icon_cry.gif
anton
I think that the highway code is responsible for this misleading situation as next to the limits for light goods vehicles it shows a cab + box style van.
The taxation class of private light goods (plg) also encorages van owners to think that they are driving a car.

A landrover 110 can have up to 12 seats, I could swap the rear body and it could be a goods van with three seats. both have the same chassis, brakes engine etc!
DW190
QUOTE (anton)
I think that the highway code is responsible for this misleading situation as next to the limits for light goods vehicles it shows a cab + box style van.
The taxation class of private light goods (plg) also encorages van owners to think that they are driving a car.

A landrover 110 can have up to 12 seats, I could swap the rear body and it could be a goods van with three seats. both have the same chassis, brakes engine etc!

Don't forget the Highway Code is exactly what it says "A Code" it is not Law. You could look at it like the police look at APCO.

If it suits us its Law if it doesn't its just a Code.
uncovered
just to clarify this as I have found to my cost over the last few weeks.

The reduced speed limit applies on a A road dual carriageway (non motorway) where for cars it's 7- but goods vehicles it's 60. 50mph on a single carriageway.

I drive a citroen dispatch and was caught by a gatso which somehow worked out that I was a ickle van and not an ickle people carrier. Anyway after work received the NIP we said we would fight it. But then they looked into and said it was infact correct. Forget the car derived van bit as it is debatable whether a dispatch is car derived. But that is superseeded anyway by the little known fact that a good vehicle is classed as such if the Gross Vehicle Weight is over 2 ton. My dispatch weight 2.3 ton so infact I have broken the law and will have to pay the fine and get the points. Work didnt know and apologised but ignorance is no defence as they say. I am gutted!
matt1133
did they nominate you? did you then receive your own NIP?
did you receive a fixed penalty or are you yet to receive one?

if not you could send the pace letter still
uncovered
yeah, my company kindly said sorry and then nominated me as the driver. i have my own nip now but have decided that it is not worth going down the pace route. It would just draw out the process I would think.

I still haven't sent it back, it is here in front of me filled in. The pace seems a gamble. i could send it and then end up in court.
matt1133
if you are not up for a fight then it may well be worth sending the form back itself,

remember the pace statement is exactly the same just in a different format and is admissable in court if summoned for failing to comply with s172, many cases have been dropped once their mistake is realised icon_eek.gif

if, when you send the pace letter back and they accept it just as a NIP for speeding, then you could always still take the fixed penalty (depending on your speed) which would be likely to follow, or you could argue it is NOT admissable as no caution was received,

the pace letter can work both ways but is safer in a failure to comply with S172 charge.

think of it as a no lose, if they bite and try an s172 charge you can defeat that charge, if not then they will send a fixed penalty offer.

the only problem is you have written on the NIP and i'm not sure what could be done about that, maybe someone else will know????????
Tamara-D
QUOTE (matt1133)
the only problem is you have written on the NIP and i'm not sure what could be done about that, maybe someone else will know????????

If he has already filled in the NIP and is thinking of sending the PACE letter, I would suggest he holds onto the NIP and just sends the PACE Witness Statement on its own by special delivery to the CoP.
DW190
QUOTE (Tamara-D)
QUOTE (matt1133)

If he has already filled in the NIP and is thinking of sending the PACE letter, I would suggest he holds onto the NIP and just sends the PACE Witness Statement on its own by special delivery to the CoP.

I'll second that. Also keep copies of the Pace Statement and if they send you a new clean NIP/s172 for you can oblige by writing on it "see attached copy statement".
J M B
QUOTE (Tamara-D)
Im sure this is not the correct forum for this post, however:

QUOTE (g_attrill)

Here's the detailed list: http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/e...vi/spedlimi.htm

A goods vehicle under 2 tonnes can go 60/70/70 - it does NOT have to be a car derived van.

There was a letter in the Motoring Telegraph last year from someone who had been booked doing 57 mph on a single carriage-way road in a privately owned Peugeot Expert 1.9.  He thought that he had a 60 mph limit as a Car Derived Van but the police said it was a Light Goods Vehicle LGV1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...09/emrjon10.xml

There is a car based on this van but it came after the van so the van is not a Car Derived Van.  There quite a number of small light vans which this are classed as such.

I use a Freelander van at work and began to wonder about speed limits after someone posted a message on another list.  I found several different versions of the law on different police websites so I wrote to my local police force.  I got a completely different version from them!  The Freelander van appears to be possibly just over the unladen weight limit for a Car Derived Van which would make it a Light Goods Vehicle with the 50/60/70 limit but fortunately it is also a Dual Purpose Vehicle and that appears to override this according to various people.

I have wondered why the van manufacturers do not stick a couple of seats in the back of a new model of light van and release a few car versions a week before the van then it will be a Car Derived Van!

MB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.