Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN - I put money in the wrong meter, will I have to pay?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
peru
Hello,

I parked in Westminster last week and put money in the wrong meter. It was about 9am and the meter I did put money in was for a car that had been left overnight and no one had put any money in it prior to me.

I was out on the street a little later and looked up to see a warden putting a ticket on my car. I rushed over to ask why he was ticketing me, and it soon became apparent that I had put money in the wrong meter. I think the warden may have believed me. He took, or at least pretended to take, pictures of both meters and made notes explaining what I had told him.

Is there any way that I can contest this ticket, or will they just say that there was no money in the meter for my car so I have no case? I'm happy to admit my mistake, but the irritating thing is that I did actually try to pay for my parking!

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Thanks.
dave-o
Ask to see the pictures and the warden's notes.
Teufel
near me they have put arrows on the ground as the meter location
was confusing and this was always happening

wether uyou have grounds for appeal in yr case is hard to say wothout photos
Alexis
The onus is on the council to make the rules and procedures clear. If you put money in the wrong meter purely because the procedure wasn't clear then the PCN should be cancelled. Expect to have to go to the Adjudicator though.
peru
Thanks for replies so far. I think I may have a hard time claiming that procedure wasn't clear as there were only three meters, so it should have been obvious which one I was supposed to pay at - dumb mistake really! I spoke to a friend of mine who knows a bit more about this than me and he said it's worth appealing, but I'm pretty much having to rely on their sympathy as I was at fault. I don't think Westminster are known for their sympathy!

If anyone knows how best to word my appeal, or can point me in the direction of an old post which might help, I'd love to know.

Thanks again.

(Great forum, by the way, very helpful with my brother's speeding ticket)
Neil B
No need to be embarrassed! Im pretty sure I've done that before but got lucky.

Just a chance that the CEO was sympathetic because they had already made notes about the other vehicle, which would go some way to confirming your story.

Make an informal appeal based on what you've said so far and if rejected it will at least reveal their attitude and evidence. Ask specifically for pics and CEOs notes. Most Councils will extend the discount period in response to informal challenges. In view of various threads on here recently, make sure you get proof of delivery of anything you submit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.