Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Residents Parking -parking ticket!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
GlasgowGuy
Hi,

I've just found this excellent forum, and I thought I would try to get some feedback for my parking problems!

I relocated from Northern Ireland to Scotland recently, and sent off my 'change of registered keeper' form to notify DVLA of my new address in Dundee. (had been meening to do this for a while, so the move back to Dundee was a good opportunity to sort out the new keeper document for the car.)

So, then I got a new job in Glasgow (woo hoo) - just moved here with work. My new pad, is residents parking only, so I have been in contact with the council to get my permit (£50).

So, the council want me to re-register the car to my Glasgow address in order to get a permit. (I've just sent them off to get the address changed to Dundee!). They say there is no way round re-registering the car to this Glasgow address - what a hassle.

I received a letter from DVLA yesterday to inform me that they cannot register the car to the new address - as it's not on the DVLA computer (I thought the big scary adverts said, the computer knows where you live...ooooooohhhh).

Northern Ireland have they're own system apparently. So now I have to register the car in Great Britain - they've sent me a V55/5 form - Applcation for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration.

They also want lots of documents (which I am gathering up).

So the problem is - I cannot register the car in Scotland until I send this stuff off to the DVLA. Only then will Glasgow city council issue me a residents parking permit. Until then I am at the mercy of parking attendants.

I got a parking ticket today outside my place of residence - not happy. When I telephoned the parking department - they didn't want to know that I have been trying to get my applcation for a permit sorted out, but am awaiting documents from N.I. They said I had no chance of appeal.

options:

So - when I re-register the car here - put myself down as the new keeper etc, I have the option of getting a shiny new registration number. Should I ignore this ticket, and watch as the parking dept. in Glasgow fail to get my address (not on the DVLA computer....)

Burn the car out (bit extreme) dry.gif

sell the car - been thinking of a new set of wheels......(also extreme) dry.gif

Just get the new plates, then go get my permit - and forget about the ticket..... dry.gif

Start taking pictures of the faded parking bay I was in and contest that it was not a legal bay etc.... dry.gif

Sorry for the long confusing post - but they made me mad when they said I had no chance of an appeal - can't park outside my own house -arrghhhh
southpaw82
Stick up the PCN so we can see if it's valid or not. Remove personal details.

I'd suggest that Glasgow's policy is unlawful as being ultra vires and unreasonable. How do they register permits for people who have lease cars? The address to which a car is registered does not have to be your residence and so how do they get around that circumstance? But that's by the by for now.

Shove up pics of the bay too and write to the council asking for a copy of the traffic regulation order covering those bays.
jeffreyarcher
If you have the time you could try and get a look at the TRO. It's quite possible that the order doesn't gibe them the authority to make that restriction. After all, as Southpaw82 says, how do the deal with lease / company cars? IIRC, their Richmond Exchange / Cadogan Street office deals with TROs etc.
You should be able to get them from the Chief Executive's office round the back of George Square, but their copy is probably a mess, although you might be lucky if it's a small order.
The problem with councils, though, is, in general they are arrogant organsations, and even if the TRO doesn't give them the authority that they claim, getting them to change will likely be an uphill struggle.
GlasgowGuy
Thanks guys, I will post up pics of the parking ticket and the bay tonight.

I'm just annoyed that they won't give me a residents permit unless I re-register my car at the Glasgow address. I'm self-employed, and I am in Glasgow for 6 months only. My main residence is in Dundee - I have a 6 month lease in Glasgow, but return to Dundee Friday - Sunday. To re-register my car in Glasgow I would expect I would have to change my insurance policy also. I shall be writing to the council asking for the TRO - will they send me out a copy, or do I have to go into their offices and read the original?
Glacier2
You are best to go in and read the original. They cannot be trusted to send you the full document.
GlasgowGuy
CODE

Here are my pics - I'm sure that there are no mistakes in the council's PCN, but I think the bays look dodgy.....

Any ideas?
southpaw82
The ticket does contain an error in the section where it refers to the notice to owner.

Per the Road Traffic Act 1991, s. 66(3)(e):

"that, if the penalty charge is not paid before the end of the 28 day period, a notice to owner may be served by the [enforcement authority] on the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle"

Your PCN does not mention by whom the notice to owner will be served and also states that it will be served on the registered keeper (not the person appearing to be the owner) and thus does not comply with s. 66(3)(e) - see Al's Bar and Restaurant Ltd v Wandsworth. If the PCN is non-compliant then no financial liability arises - see R v The Parking Adjudicator (ex p Barnet).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.