Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Touching a mobile phone - what law is this against?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Mattylad
Hello, after reading through the forums I see a lot of mention of it being illegal to "touch" a mobile phone.

Can anyone who knows th facts behind this please point to the articular act & section that touching is against?
Ihave not benn accused of anything but am just curious.

IMO touching a mobile phone is no difference to taking your hand off the wheel and touching a gearknob, heating control, radio button etc

Cheers,
Mattylad.
andy_foster
QUOTE (Mattylad @ Thu, 5 Jun 2008 - 07:55) *
Hello, after reading through the forums I see a lot of mention of it being illegal to "touch" a mobile phone.

I don't. Perhaps you could link to some examples?
Mattylad
OK

A quick search for phone will reveal several threads where people have been done for touching or picking up a phone
rather than actually using it to make a call.

I.E.

here "picking it up"
or here
or here
or here
or here

I know what it says in the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003
And it does not say anything about touching or holding a phone.

Ergo my request for what law is it that is being used when people say it is an offence to touch it ?

Cheers.
bama
AIUI you get done for 'using' so if you are holding it its easy for an assertion to be made that you were 'using'.
andy_foster
QUOTE (Mattylad @ Thu, 5 Jun 2008 - 11:49) *
OK

A quick search for phone will reveal several threads where people have been done for touching or picking up a phone
rather than actually using it to make a call.

I.E.

here "picking it up"
or here
or here
or here
or here

I know what it says in the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003
And it does not say anything about touching or holding a phone.

Ergo my request for what law is it that is being used when people say it is an offence to touch it ?

Cheers.

And how many of those threads mention "touching" a phone?
Teufel
No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone

lots of maggys convictions but i am not aware of any higher court caselaw
where the issue of 'using' is defined

since the law refers to 'interactive communication' holding or touching
which does not involves this would not be using IMLTHO

that said using you hands for non-driving could be without due care and attention
whatever you are touching or holding

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.