Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got Stopped no Insurance
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Mikie
HI everyone

Bit of a shot in the dark but i just got pulled over and had a producer...he pulled me over for a plastic guard loose underneath which i was aware of only that day and was going to put it right at my destination...no dangerous may i add..
anyway i have 2 vehicles and insure them online...and the office said i had no insuance when he checked.,.
i did make a mistake but only just realised it when oi got back home when i added one of the cars to the policy the other one was cancelled....the one i got pulled in...
i dont mind the fine as i am at error here but i really dont want 6-8 points on my license as i have 3 already.. and would be brickin it for the next few years.....

is there any way i could maybve write a letter explaining this and the fact i need my car to pick up my son everyday as part of the maintenance agreement...
i just got the produce 4 hrs ago...
any help would be great...

Thanks
Mike

andy_foster
You could write a letter explaining your domestic situation, but it would be of little relevance at this stage.

Driving without insurance is a strict liability offence. If you committed it due to a mistake, rather than deliberately driving without insurance that may result in a lower fine (as would an early guilty plea), and 6 points rather than 8 or a ban. However, if convicted, the court cannot impose less than 6 points (unless they ban you outright) unless there are 'special reasons not to endorse' - generally if you couldn't have known that you were not insured, rather than simply not knowing.

Having to be able to drive is only relevant if the court are considering whether to ban you. If you subsequently receive some more points and are facing a totting up ban, undue hardship (particularly to others) would be grounds for the court to allow you to keep your licence even though you would have 12 or more points. However, at this stage, it would not be advisable to try to explain to the court that as a habitual offender you are bound to get caught again and face a ban!
axeman
QUOTE (Mikie @ Thu, 29 May 2008 - 20:54) *
HI everyone

Bit of a shot in the dark but i just got pulled over and had a producer...he pulled me over for a plastic guard loose underneath which i was aware of only that day and was going to put it right at my destination...no dangerous may i add..
anyway i have 2 vehicles and insure them online...and the office said i had no insuance when he checked.,.
i did make a mistake but only just realised it when oi got back home when i added one of the cars to the policy the other one was cancelled....the one i got pulled in...
i dont mind the fine as i am at error here but i really dont want 6-8 points on my license as i have 3 already.. and would be brickin it for the next few years.....

is there any way i could maybve write a letter explaining this and the fact i need my car to pick up my son everyday as part of the maintenance agreement...
i just got the produce 4 hrs ago...
any help would be great...

Thanks
Mike

Consider yourself lucky (in another way) had the police bothered to check for themselves if you had insurance you would now be looking at getting your vehicle back from the impounders, paying transport and storage fees until you produced a valid insurance certificate, possibly £250+ and any fine.

plus had you been involved in a RTA god knows the consequences.

good luck with this one but you have already had lots.
civil engineer
Mrs Civil Enginer has many years experience in motor insurance and she has always told me that you cannot be found guilty if you reasonably believe that you are insured.......for example a company car when you're assured by your employer that the insurance is in place. Could this be the similar?
axeman
QUOTE (civil engineer @ Fri, 30 May 2008 - 00:01) *
Mrs Civil Enginer has many years experience in motor insurance and she has always told me that you cannot be found guilty if you reasonably believe that you are insured.......for example a company car when you're assured by your employer that the insurance is in place. Could this be the similar?

anyway I have 2 vehicles and insure them online...and the office said I had no insurance when he checked.........I did make a mistake but only just realised it when I got back home when I added one of the cars to the policy the other one was cancelled....the one I got pulled in...

I think the office in question is the insurance office, internet mistakes are different IMV
Zed Victor One
QUOTE (civil engineer @ Fri, 30 May 2008 - 00:01) *

Not really as this is your vehicle which you are responsible for insuring, there is no defered liability, as axeman said consider yourself lucky your vehicle wasn't seized at the time.
civil engineer
I would suggest that you had every reason to believe that you were insured becuase you only discovered your genuine error later on. You didn't tell them to cancel the insurance and had no reasonable reason to believe that it had been cancelled.

Gaza
QUOTE (civil engineer @ Fri, 30 May 2008 - 10:50) *
I would suggest that you had every reason to believe that you were insured becuase you only discovered your genuine error later on. You didn't tell them to cancel the insurance and had no reasonable reason to believe that it had been cancelled.

That may be the case but IMHO that is no excuse in the eyes of the law. The error was the OPs, not a third party. He was not insured and as a strict liability offense he is guilty. He may be able to claim special reasons not to endorse but again IMHO that is unlikely. Allowing situations like this would open the floodgates to people claiming "error" when in fact they were avoiding insuring a vehicle.
The Rookie
There is a specific excemption for Co. car drivers if the company has not insured the car and told the employee they have, this is not transferred to private car drivers (even those driving those insured by someone else) let alone the OP's scenario where he himself made the mistake.

Simon
hurricane187
hi all
how'd you get on mikkie? can anyone tell me if you get caught with no insurance how can you produce if there isn't anything to produce i.e. insurance certif? would you go to the station to explain or leave it till you get a summons?
also what happen if your out of town like 200miles apart? as i know someone in that situation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.