Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] UK V's EU (Spanish) Licence?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
PBee
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - April 2008
Date of the NIP: - 33 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 34 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Markyate Road Slip End
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - It's my dad's car but I'm the keeper at the moment, he put my name on the original NIP which arrived within a couple of days...
How many current points do you have? - 9
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Both my brother and myself where driving the vehicle on the day in question whilst moving furniture and are unsure which one of us could have been driving at the time of the offence. I'm on 9 points and a UK licence, my brothers on a clean Spanish Licence and has been a Spanish resident since last year.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Unsure
Do you know who was driving? - Unsure who was driving

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:52:30 +0100
PBee
P.S - I've been doing a lot of reading on this site over the last few days and am rather concerned that if I try to go for showing due diligence in trying to ascertain the driver and loose - then I'll loose my license and career as I'm a systems consultant travelling the UK to visit remote client sites...

My brothers also not keen to admit anything as he's unsure what it would do to his license, he's already said he would not attend any court appearance for what he calls a 'poxy speeding offence' even if he did admit to driving.

Catweazle
As a non-UK resident and holder of a foreign driving licence your brother is, of course, insured to drive your Dad's car???
PBee
Indeed - My brother also still has a Car & House over here and insurance to drive it and any other third party only, which would include my dad's. His licence was UK for years, just been recently convert to EU Spanish - Not really where I was looking for advice, but I spose that'll clear it up for any others reading this and thinking the same question.

Myself - Fully Comprehensive and Fully Expensive on 9 points!

Insurance isn't the issue, it's the speeding I'm concerned with, my brother believes it could have been him but doesn't want to admit anything, as he's concerned what that does to his licence, could he be banned from driving in this country for instance, if he doesn't appear in court when the FP is revoked as his licence isn't a UK one?

I fear a photo isn't going to prove much as we both look very, very similar!! If I state I'm not sure who was driving as I'm not, then the courts could well decide I haven't done enough to identify the driver, I end up with 6 more points and a nice ban by top-up! Hardy fair justice I fear!

I guess the first thing is to ask for the photo, right?...
davepoth
Make completely sure of your brother's insurance before you go down this route, a lot of people have been caught out by the insurance company changing the policy. "3rd party on other cars" is not as common as it used to be.
The Rookie
As an EU licence holder he won't get points on his Spanish licence, but they will create a UK 'ghost' licence on which his transgressions here will be logged, any ban here wouldn't stop him using his spanish licence to drive out of the UK.

Unless the speed was excessive he won't get banned anyway, and if he applies for the UK 'counterpart' he can accept the CoFP that would probably be offered of £60/3pts

Simon

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.