Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collared, but am I a 50 or 60mph vehicle?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Newk
Hi all

I drive a Mercedes Vito company van, which as far as I can tell, is related to a Viano MPV. In March I was clocked doing 71mph on a NSL single cariageway by Bedford police, which I got the NIP sent to me 37 days later, as it was sent to head office first, who named me. On the NIP it reads "For the alleged offence of EXCESS SPEED - 50MPH CLASS OF VEHICLE (PORTABLE CAMERA)". I recall the road, its one that is wide enough to overtake, with oncoming traffic (3 lanes wide) thats straight as a roman road for 1 miles, and there was an unmarked van in the layby. I recall overtaking a lorry, that day, which was probably when they got me. What are my chances, if the NIP is wrong about the vehicle class?

Keep up the good work. PS Wouldnt mind getting collared, if they did more to get the crap drivers off the road, safety, my A**e, its tax!!
andy_foster
In what way is this a "Completed Case Summary"?

Please visit the READ ME FIRST section (Click Here), answer all the questions in the NIP Wizard, and the Wizard will then post its output back here to enable us to help you.
Transit man
The Vito has a gross weight of 2770kg, bringing it into the 50 mph on a single track (or 3 lane with no central barrier) maximum on a NSL. I think that this supersedes the "car derived" get out.
Gaza
QUOTE (Transit man @ Tue, 13 May 2008 - 00:55) *
The Vito has a gross weight of 2770kg, bringing it into the 50 mph on a single track (or 3 lane with no central barrier) maximum on a NSL. I think that this supersedes the "car derived" get out.

In any case I believe the Viano is actually a car dervived from a van but as you say the GVW of 2770kg makes it subject to the lower limits.
Newk
QUOTE (Gaza @ Tue, 13 May 2008 - 08:07) *
QUOTE (Transit man @ Tue, 13 May 2008 - 00:55) *

In any case I believe the Viano is actually a car dervived from a van but as you say the GVW of 2770kg makes it subject to the lower limits.

Looks like your right, revenue weight is actualy 2700kg, only 70 out, but over 2 tonnes. Been driving big vans for 15-20yrs and never knew. Gona ask my works if theyll pick up the fine and I'll take the points. I did tell them that I need a car, and they put me back in a van, which is always empty, but its a just in case needed thing. This is going to increase my travelling time! angry.gif Wanted to keep the licence clean for my motorbike, which of course I'm a good boy on! angel12.gif

Cheers all for your help, but it looks like I'm stuffed. crybaby2.gif
Newk
Just a last quicky on this one. Whats the score with not signing the NIP on return? Already managed to delay stuff for nearly 7weeks.
Gaza
QUOTE (Newk @ Wed, 14 May 2008 - 10:52) *
Just a last quicky on this one. Whats the score with not signing the NIP on return? Already managed to delay stuff for nearly 7weeks.

A good chance of getting away with it if you are in Scotland. Anywhere else it is a sure fire way of getting 6 points and large fine.
The Rookie
Unsigned in Bedford, S172 prosecution (Francis), 6 pts and circa £300 fine and about £60 costs.

If youve already delayed 7 weeks though you could already be up for that, why not do the NIP wizard so we can offer proper advice!

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.