Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curious - Suspicious car?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Neil B
Not directly relevant to a PCN 'fight' but a curious situation.

A newish car has been parked in the Street adjacent to mine for nearly three weeks now. It's a CPZ and resident parking/p&d. No permit and has collected countless PCNs, most of which have either blown down the street or been removed - tend to be about four remaining at any one time so very noticeable.

Concerned that it might have been stolen I reported it to the Police via a non-emrgency number thinking I might be helping the owner recover it. Nothing happened.

Enquired as to outcome, again via non-emergency number and was told that my information had been deemed "Not of Police interest".

Hmmmm.

So why is it there? Don't we often get asked about the whereabouts of vehicles between theft and criminal use in Police appeals - but always after the event! Are we not also still supposed to be 'security' aware (especially in this borough!) ?

They suggested I repeat the report to the local Council but I have no faith in them whatsoever - and why couldn't the Police just pass the info on themselves?

Only one other interesting point - the bay appears illegally marked - so just a faint chance it's one of the Pepipoo massive laugh.gif

Any thoughts?

mustdash
Not sure where you are, but you could always try reporting it to the ant-terrorist hot line?
Glacier2
QUOTE (mustdash @ Fri, 2 May 2008 - 14:59) *
Not sure where you are, but you could always try reporting it to the ant-terrorist hot line?

It wouldn't be there not too much longer. biggrin.gif
cvs
Neil,

You raise good points and you're a model citizen but the public bodies (ahem) who should be doing something about this generally don't give a toss. I had exact same thing on my street except it was parked off road in this mini residential parking area- this car had been in an accident. Interesting point in your case and mine is the fact that it has obviously come to the attention of the traffic wardens who are council employees and are in an ideal position to report back to the council abandoned vehicles. The car on my street sat there for 8 months, then one day it disappeared.

Try this link at the dvla, it should link you direct to your council's website for reporting abandoned vehicles if you can be bothered...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommuni...tter/DG_4001703
whitewing
Many councils have a system for reporting apparently abandoned vehicles - check your council's website.
Neil B
Thanks for the suggestions.

On "Anti-terrorist hotline" - I didn't want to be judged too reactonary - but might consider it if it persists.

On "Abandoned vehicles". Yeah, I know they can be reported but was loathe to do so cos I trust the local Council about as much as >> (indescribable). I didn't want to risk putting someone to the expense or trouble of having their car removed if there was a reasonable explanation.

Just an update >> It seems the vehicle has been used yesterday: There is now some distinct collision damage that I'm sure I would have noticed before? Also only one PCN on the windscreen.

Also checked tax this time (only in passing, honest, don't want to get too obsessive about this!). Well in date but some annotation I don't understand>>

Disc is a "Duplicate" - not immediately suspicious but maybe so in the circumstances already described?

"Fee" for the road tax says "Nil" and then below "Disabled". Anyone know anything about this? Sorry if I'm dumb! Never seen it before.
bama
have you checked that it has active insurance attached to it ?
Glacier2

It is taxed as a disabled persons car.

That must be their defence to multiple PCNs. Or else it is TWOC job used for joyriding.
Neil B
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Sat, 3 May 2008 - 18:45) *
It is taxed as a disabled persons car.

That must be their defence to multiple PCNs. Or else it is TWOC job used for joyriding.

Yeah, quick research shows up the disabled issue. I confess to my ignorance on that. Still, the fact that it never displays a blue badge and has a 'duplicate' tax disc just makes it a bit more suspicious for me? 'Clone'?

Unlikely TWOC if we can trust the police to have checked the registration I originally reported to them? - but the circumstances do make it lookk like that!

Unsure how I would check insurance Bama.
Neil B
To explain>>

The point of this is that if something untoward is going on then innocent road users are going to be suffering some loss. - note the earlier mention of new collision damage.

If all legit then the owner has maybe made an innocent mistake and might be interested to hear about this website - particularly the fact that the bay markings appear to be non-compliant.
Glacier2

http://askmid.com key in the reg number and see if there is any insurance on it.
bama
thats the kiddie. thanks Glacier2.

anyon eknow what ot means when it reurns a one way arrow graphic (as part of a yes answer) instead of vehicle details.
Neil B
Update - curiousor and curiousor.

It's still there. now a bailiff notice on the windscreen "non-payment of parking fines - do not remove the clamp" (What clamp?!)

There must be a history to this car because although I've seen 26+ recent PCNs the bailiff can't be reacting to those can he?

Just a bit concerned now, considering the 'disabled' tax status, that someone may have fallen ill or injured and have no control over the situation and be about to lose their car. It is on the insurance register.

Then again there is always the hope eeeeeeee, possibility that when the bailiff lifts it - BOOM!
Glacier2
Can you get a picture?
Neil B
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Thu, 8 May 2008 - 13:03) *
Can you get a picture?

I'll try but a bit short of resources and equipment.
Glacier2
I wonder did some toe rag cut off the clamp?
g_attrill
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Sat, 3 May 2008 - 22:03) *

http://askmid.com key in the reg number and see if there is any insurance on it.

Did you read the text in bullet point 2?
bama
yep and if askmid actually returned any personal data it would worry me (unless a/some S55 exceptions applied).
but it doesn't return any personal data at all nor can the information it supplies be used be me to identify any individuals.
and the data controller of askmid has de facto given consent anyway IMV.
g_attrill
QUOTE (bama @ Fri, 9 May 2008 - 00:13) *
yep and if askmid actually returned any personal data it would worry me (unless a/some S55 exceptions applied).
but it doesn't return any personal data at all nor can the information it supplies be used be me to identify any individuals.
and the data controller of askmid has de facto given consent anyway IMV.

It's possibly not personal data (they seem to think so though), but you are accessing the data by declaring you are the rk/owner/driver, and therefore are very likely contravening the Computer Misuse Act by searching for other vehicles. Unless you are bulk searching thousands of registrations it's highly unlikely to result in anything, and it might even just be to comply with the act, but IMO the principle and risk is not enough for me to bother, however interesting it would be to look up other vehicles.
bama
can't see how CMA applies either. no attempt to "secure access" when using a web client to a public interface which provides the function on demand. the access is built in and made available by the site. and the tick box is not a form of authorisation by any means. Only way I can see CMA applying would be if someone used askmid to clone a vehicle - which would be daft as you can just open your eyes when in public and get lots of registrations, or walk around a car park and find the model first - which would have to be the approach rather than a hit a miss approach keyed off random reg plates on ASKMID.

the only imply the DPA as well " I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988" Equally you may not and as no personal data involved its a not IMO. If it was clear cut they would/should say will.
sharewatcher
As it has a disabled tax disc it may well be a Motobility car might be worth giving them a call to find out.

Motability Operations
City Gate House
22 Southwark Bridge Road
London
SE1 9HB

Telephone: 0845 456 4566 (8.30am till 5.30pm Monday to Friday)
Neil B
OK, bumping this up because the great advice from 'sharewatcher' paid off.

I phoned Motability about 2 weeks ago. After initially being understandably suspicious of me they then said "we will certainly be investigating". Although they were very goos not to disclose anything to me their interest seemed to indicate that they had a record of the car, as 'sharewatcher' suggested.

3-4 days later and it disappeared!

Phoned today and they (reluctantly) confirmed this was as a result of their investigation. They could not, of course, say anything more but it seems that Pepipoo have very likely managed to get a car back to its owner. Thanks people. blob6.gif wav.gif

Next step - and I need some help with this!

There must have eventually been 30 + PCNs on that car so potentially someone out there is looking at a bill of £3000- +

All of those PCNs I saw issued were for parking in a non compliant bay!

Motability could not agree to pass my name and phone number on to the owner.

Anyone got any ideas?
Glacier2
Do you know if this was a case of TWOC?
Neil B
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Tue, 27 May 2008 - 14:04) *
Do you know if this was a case of TWOC?

Motability are not disclosing anything at all Glacier and earlier reports to the police resulted in the reply "Not of Police interest".

Local paper have just suggested I get back to Motability and ask for an explanation of why they won't pass my details on.
cabbyman
I can't see why they would have a problem with passing on your details. I can see the problem the other way round! They may also know the 'mental' state of the driver involved and not wish to worry him/her.

Why not write a gentle 'open' letter to the owner that Motability can have sight of before passing it on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.