Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPC scam with a 'new' twist!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
malkj
There is a large free car park adjacent to the JJB stadium in Wigan which historically has been used by users of the adjacent cinema, large bingo complex and various eateries which were built before the stadium. Last October small signs were erected by CMS stating that on match days parking was to become ‘Pay & Display’ with a £5 fee.

A pensioner friend of the mother in law, whilst out on her weekly Friday night game of bingo, was dismayed to return to her car to find she had received a ‘ticket’. Unbeknown to her the ‘Wigan Warriors’ playing at home that evening. Usual blurb – pay £80 now or £50 within 14 days. Unfortunately she paid up! Let’s face it; their tickets are very convincing to the uninitiated.

I have been to look at the location today and here’s the twist….

Yes there are small signs up stating on match days it is a P&D with a £5 fee but guess what…. there are NO P&D machines!! They must be raking it in on match days!!!

Anyway first off I want to try and get the old lady her money back – any chance? If so how do I go about it? Do I send a letter to CMS stating they have taken money under false pretences and put them on 7 day notice before small claims action or do I go straight for the jugular – if so how?

Apart from the old lady’s case do I complain to the landowner – if so how do I find out who owns it? They cannot get away with this – you point the gun and I will fire the bullets!

Glacier2
Do they have a goon selling permits on match day?
malkj
don't kmow Glacier2 -will check this Saturday - if there is they are certainly not promting their prescence and why should they? £50 is better than £5 - will observe and inform
johnjames
Hang on a sec FREE CAR PARK? Apart from Match Days £5.00 FEE? Observe and video take pics of what they do because if they stop selling tickets when everyone is in the Match and then ticket anyone then this has got to be IMHO nothing but FRAUD.
How can you have pay and display without machines OR a guy there to stop you to grab your hard earned CASH?

If you can prove this scam get onto the local RAG ASAP.
chadders
Logic dictates you'd ask for everything bar £5 back from them, seeing as that was their actual loss?
Alexis
CMS are the scamsters from Lytham. A letter before action and Moneyclaim.gov.uk to claim the full amount is the way to go. If the judge wants to knock £5 off, leave it to him, but I expect they won't defend and you'll get a CCJ against them.

I bet you got an invoice like this:

bama
QUOTE (johnjames @ Wed, 23 Apr 2008 - 09:04) *
Hang on a sec FREE CAR PARK? Apart from Match Days £5.00 FEE? Observe and video take pics of what they do because if they stop selling tickets when everyone is in the Match and then ticket anyone then this has got to be IMHO nothing but FRAUD.
How can you have pay and display without machines OR a guy there to stop you to grab your hard earned CASH?

If you can prove this scam get onto the local RAG ASAP.

Agreed - you will have to go along on match day and check they haven't put up some temporary ticket machine on the day.
can't see that happening but you never know. You could also photograph the bod(s) dishing out the invoices....
jdfi
QUOTE (malkj @ Tue, 22 Apr 2008 - 22:24) *
do I complain to the landowner – if so how do I find out who owns it? They cannot get away with this – you point the gun and I will fire the bullets!

Definitely. http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk you may be able to download the deeds for the land (though not all land is registered).

If you issue any proceedings, the landowner should be listed as a second defendant. Potentially the Wigan Warriors (as they are alleged beneficary) as third defendant?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.