Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dis-abled parking
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
dave comer
Hi All, just a query about dis-abled parking spaces. On a residential estate where I used to live, a number of dis-abled parking bays have sprung up. Some of these are outside the homes of people with varying degrees of disability who have their own drives. I suspect that these people have had the bays marked out to prevent other residents from parking outside their houses and also to ensure that friends and relatives have somewhere to park when they visit. The actual painting of these signs on the road looks very amatuerish. I was under the impression that signs painted on the road had to conform to letter size and spacing etc. the question is, are these signs enforcable and also what is to stop anyone wishing to preserve "their" parking space from going out in the dead of night with a tin of Dulux to mark out their own bays?
starlet108
In order for the bays to be enforced or actually mean anything they need to have a pole and sign for each bay. If they have no pole with a sign then they are merely courtesy bays and anyone can park in them.
dave comer
OK got that but still don't know if Joe Public has the right to take to the streets tooled up with his paintbrush. Is it a Capital crime to deface the Queen's Highway or is anyone marking out these "courtesy" bays liable for crimminal damage?
clark_kent
QUOTE (dave comer @ Mon, 24 Mar 2008 - 12:46) *
OK got that but still don't know if Joe Public has the right to take to the streets tooled up with his paintbrush. Is it a Capital crime to deface the Queen's Highway or is anyone marking out these "courtesy" bays liable for crimminal damage?

Its actually 'public' highway not the Queens and it is the same offence as any other graffitti. If its on a private estate it may be a private road so down to whoever owns the estate.
dave comer
Clarke Kent. The reference to the Queens Highway was purely tongue in cheek. Obviously my misplaced sense of humour!!! The roads in my query are in fact public highways. I stand corrected Sir!!
clark_kent
QUOTE (dave comer @ Mon, 24 Mar 2008 - 13:11) *
Clarke Kent. The reference to the Queens Highway was purely tongue in cheek.

I know its just any mention of Royalty makes me mad! lol
leegomery16
Such DIY spaces would be unenforceable anyway as no Traffic Regulation Order would be in place.
starlet108
I would imagine if caught painting your own then you would be charged with something like criminal damage and also would get a hefty bill from the council for cleaning the mess.
jdfi
Any chance of a picture of this?

It is of course possible to get road marking paint and the equipment...

I would be surprised though if a council would grant one to someone who has their own drive - sounds like one for the parking board on Neighbours from Hell - http://www.nfh.org.uk/forum

You could always write to the council to ask whether it is official, though of course a passing traffic warden would be likely to just assume officialdom. If this definitely isn't official, then I suggest parking in it all the time just to annoy the bigots!
dave comer
Will take my (t)rusty box brownie out tomorrow .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.