Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do PPCs require a Local Authority licence?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
sharewatcher
While reading through the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c. 27) (for my daughters case on the 31st) I read that if you operate an off street parking car park you need to have a license from the local authority, I wonder how many PPCs have got one?
leegomery16
Are you looking at section 43 and 44?

Any Order made only has force in regulated areas, so a licence is only needed if the local authority has designated the area as a regulated area. Have to ask individual councils in respect of any particular parking place.
sharewatcher
I was looking at section 43 and realise now that it applies to London only.

So, in London do PPC's need a licence for off street parking in a controlled area?

i.e Train stations, shopping centres, car parks, etc
leegomery16
Only if an Order in Council has been made allowing the councils to specify an area as a regulated area and those councils have designated the particular area as a regulated area.

If you're thinking of somewhere in particular you'd need to ask the relevant council whether it has designated the particular area as a regulated area. If they have then you'd need to ask whether the PPC needs a licence. If they do then you'd need to ask if one has been granted.
sharewatcher
Only if an Order in Council has been made allowing the councils to specify an area as a regulated area and those councils have designated the particular area as a regulated area.

Sorry Lee, it's probably me being thick That only seems to apply to section 44, section 43 only refers to controlled areas, section 44 refers to regulated areas and an Order in Council.

I am assuming that "controlled areas" mean "parking controlled areas" .

Please remember that I find reading through statute is like wading through treacle and if I am wrong my mitigation is "I am only a novice" and still learning
leegomery16
Best idea is to write to the council in question and ask them wink.gif
sharewatcher
Hi Lee section 43 (already law ?) is of no relevance to the case against my daughter.

It reads to me that in London the PPCs need a licence and if they don't have one they are committing an offence I just thought it was one more thing we could use in the war.

Now I can go back to reading my Beano (much easier) tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.