Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding Fine - Non-Payment
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Pynk
Not quite sure if this is in the right place... but here goes!

I was given a speeding ticket for 41 in a 30 on 03/12/07. The police officer was on his own, partially visible from the road, with the police car tucked in a side-road. He waved me in, gave me the jargon and issued me with a lovely little yellow notice. I had a friend and her daughter in the car with me, as earlier on that day I'd found out a family member had passed away, and was in a complete daze. I have never committed any speeding offences before, and have a completely clean license, and criminal record.
Around mid-December I had a nervous breakdown, and managed to lose the ticket, and in effect completely forgot about it. It was only upon packing up my house to get ready to move, that I found this ticket, and now I'm beginning to worry.

Can I get arrested? I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but it seems traffic police cars seem to follow me, and they drive past in the other direction, turn around and follow me from a couple of cars behind. I've not been pulled over by them, I've just been parking up and hiding. I am so scared, it's keeping me awake at night. I am in severe financial difficulty, and am actually awaiting a new driving license as mine was stolen when my purse was stolen, so cannot pay the fine even if I had the money, until this license comes through.

I'm at my absolute wits end and I just don't know what's going to happen to me, with all other problems I have I know I'm heading for a breakdown again, this time I just can't see any way out of it. I don't understand the laws, and even though I read on the main Pepipoo site that the traffic police car should be visible, I've not seen it in any of the ACPO information, which has me more confused.

Please help?
leegomery16
No, you won't be arrested.

What is likely to happen is that a summons will be issued for you to appear in court for the speeding matter. You could write to the ticket office and explain the situation and ask if you can have an extension of time to pay. If no information has yet been laid for a summons then it is possible (though unlikely) that they will let you have an extension.
Pynk
Is it true about the Police car being hidden? And is it worth mentioning or do I just hang my head, and accept defeat? And are officers allowed to be on their own when pulling people over?

I'm all over the place right now, don't know what to do.

Thanks for such a quick response, it means alot
leegomery16
The police can hide, it makes no difference to the offence. A single police officer can pull people over.

Without knowing the evidence against you I can't really advise you on whether you should plead guilty or not. However, roadside stops by police officers are the most difficult to fight and it is unlikely you would win if you chose to do so.
Pynk
I'll just accept it then. Will I get court fines etc if I have to go to court?
leegomery16
Court costs (about £40) and victim surcharge (£15) are usually added.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.