Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 104.3mph vascar pull. Dual carriageway at night.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
angusyoung
Hi to all, I've lurked previously but thought I'd come on for some advice after last night.

Pulled by the rozzers last night for doing 104.3mph, this was the second reading, the first reading was 98.7mph allegedly.

I've no bones about being done for speeding itself, but when I looked I was doing just over 90 fairly consistently. My question here is as this was on an unlit dual carriageway in the dark what was plod using for markers? There are no paint spots on the road and the only bridge along this stretch was just as the blues lights came on. Is vascar still accurate under darkness?

There were two officers in the car, one happy, one miserable. Some things never change! While one checked me out over the rozzerphone, the other cautioned me and then gave the blurb on the vascar evidence, blah, blah, blah, "I can't give you a fixed penalty for this, so it'll have to be a summons" said Mr glum. I don't know if it was a video vascar unit, they never said and I never thought about it until after I'd left. Also, finances must be tight as Mr glum wrote my details down on a piece of plain A4 paper attached to a battered old clipboard. What's happened to all the official paperwork? Additionally, they had a dodgy headlight on the traffic patrol car. (I reckon this is why I didn't twig them behind me earlier. Fool, I know).

I left the scene with nothing whatsoever to show that I'd even been stopped. These two could say anything they liked! Is this normal these days?

Any advice and information will be graciously accepted. Cheers.
Pete D
A road sign a bridge what ever, The common one is as your headlights flash under a bridge they hit the start button and when they flash under the bridge and hit the stop button the Vascar unit has recorded time and distance travelled thus speed. If there are multiple bridges or signs or any combination of same then they will time your between two flashes under bridges and them selves under the same two bridges, so they have an accurate distance and your time between them, thus your Speed. Very, very difficult to get away with a roadside pull I'm afraid. Pete D
angusyoung
QUOTE (Pete D @ Tue, 11 Mar 2008 - 10:28) *
A road sign a bridge what ever, The common one is as your headlights flash under a bridge they hit the start button and when they flash under the bridge and hit the stop button the Vascar unit has recorded time and distance travelled thus speed. If there are multiple bridges or signs or any combination of same then they will time your between two flashes under bridges and them selves under the same two bridges, so they have an accurate distance and your time between them, thus your Speed. Very, very difficult to get away with a roadside pull I'm afraid. Pete D

Thanks for that Pete. Just my luck! icon_hang.gif

I'll keep posting with any updates and progress as it happens.
firefly
Is this Scotland?
angusyoung
QUOTE (firefly @ Tue, 11 Mar 2008 - 13:05) *
Is this Scotland?

No. This was North Tyneside, England.

A19 Northbound between the A1058 Coast Road and the A1056 Killingworth Way turn off to be precise. icon_redface.gif
angusyoung
Just an update, received summons (dated 25th March) on the 29th March, for a court appearance 2nd May.

Police officer's statement has me driving a 'Volswagen' [as written]. Never heard of that manufacturer.

Also has a sheet of paper included which asks me if I'm going to admit the offence, deny the offence, or appear at court in person or by solicitor. It says I'm not obliged to answer any of the questions on this form, but if I'm willing to do so:
'...within 7 days considerable time and expense and time may be saved' [as written].

I don't know what all the revenue raised from fines is spent on, but it obviously isn't being used to enhance spelling and grammar within the judicial service.

Any comments/questions appreciated.

Regards to all.
The Rookie
Neither error is of any consequance..

2 routes forward
1/ Fall on your sword, appear suited and booted, plead guilty, tell how you take your octagenarian granny shopping every Saturday and fight to not get banned
2/ Plead Guilty with a 'Newton plea' to only doing 90, you may have to Request the video that was almost certainly recording while the Vascar check was done and see if it shows a good 'pull' or not, if you really where only doing 90 it should be easy to show and prove, and you'll get a much lower penalty.

Simon
jobo
are their any statements with it,

its worth knowing if they used a vascar or calibrated speedo( prob not with the .3) or on board radar

If its the vascar you could have a go at getting the speed down a bit ie under 100 as they are not that accurate that you can argue about 5 miles an hour

anyway posted what youve recieved

also be interesting to know if he ever wrote his notes up off the old scrap of paper if not ifs and there is no vid you could have a good go at them in court over their memory of the occation
The Rookie
QUOTE (jobo @ Tue, 1 Apr 2008 - 16:13) *
or on board radar

This isn't the US you know - no such thing over here!

Simon
jobo
yea sorry ,been watching american police cam action bollocks

and forgot what continent im on
angusyoung
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 1 Apr 2008 - 15:12) *
Neither error is of any consequance..

2 routes forward
1/ Fall on your sword, appear suited and booted, plead guilty, tell how you take your octagenarian granny shopping every Saturday and fight to not get banned
2/ Plead Guilty with a 'Newton plea' to only doing 90, you may have to Request the video that was almost certainly recording while the Vascar check was done and see if it shows a good 'pull' or not, if you really where only doing 90 it should be easy to show and prove, and you'll get a much lower penalty.

Simon

Cheers Simon, I've got an appointment on Friday with solicitor to discuss best plan of action. I'll keep posting any developments.
Regards.
The Rookie
QUOTE (angusyoung @ Tue, 1 Apr 2008 - 17:03) *
solicitor

Thank god, at last someone who doesn't call them 'lawyers' - let us know what he suggests...

Simon
angusyoung
Hi to one and all.

Just to say I've been in court today in full suit regalia and have held my hands up and took the rap.

In a nutshell, my solicitor pleaded mitigation citing extreme disruption to family and work commitments should I receive a ban, and 'asked' for points and financial penalty to be considered rather than any outright ban. I have to say I was impressed with the solicitor and his speech on my behalf, and yeah, I know that's what you're paying for, but he was outstanding.

I got 6 points and £200 fine, plus £43 costs.

Result. Well pleased. Wallet is a few quid short for a while, but pleased nonetheless. biggrin.gif
The Rookie
That can probably be considered a success, well done.

Simon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.